18 ft Old Town with Sponsons

alick burt

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hello
18ft long.44 in wide 23high at bow and stern and about 11 inside centre. With sponsons.
I would like to know more about this one for a potential client so any info gratefully received.
He has looked for but not yet found a serial number but rest assured I will look at it hard for one if it gets to my workshop. (Its currently located in Scotland on the Isle of Lewis).
The owner has removed the canvas which was green with the name "Sequehanna" ot sure if that's relevant?
I also have two videos he sent on my whats app if someone can tell me an easy way to transfer them..? my phone (samsung s8)doesn't seem to let me move them or copy them anywhere else just to other whats app contacts I have.

Many Thanks.

Alick www.woodencanoes.uk

old town1.jpg
deck.jpg
side on trailer 2.jpg
side on trailer.jpg

bow.jpg

Well, a serial number is necessary for any true confirmation as you probably know. It looks like this canoe probably dates from the 1950s or 1960s. I did find a similar canoe that shipped to Scotland in 1956. The Old Town canoe with serial number 164338 is an 18 foot long, AA (or top) grade, Otca model with a keel, a floor rack, and sponsons. It was built between November, 1955 and January, 1956. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on April, 16th, 1956 to New York City for reshipment to Dunbartonshire, Scotland. A scan of this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at https://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. I realize that Dunbartonshire is a long way from the Isle of Lewis but it appears to be the only canoe that shipped directly to Scotland from the factory during that era. Page seven of the period catalog at the link below has more details. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-164338.gif

Last edited:
The name is Susquehanna...as in Susquehanna River or possibly the Town of Susquehanna in Northern Pennsylvania?
The river was a major trade route for Native Americans. Numerous tribes made their home along its banks. Something I always found interesting was that Native Americans from the Southern Tier of New York journeyed all the way to Moosehead Lake in Maine to collect flint from Mount Kineo.
James Fennimore Cooper grew up in Cooperstown, the headwaters of the Susquehanna and later gave the world the Last of the Mohicans.
Local canoeists, I once included, look forward to the annual General Clinton canoe race on the Susquehanna. Depending upon the flow it can be an amazing event to participate in and it is equally great for spectators. Mention Serge Corbin to anyone who is in the know.
If you are a cyclist, there are many great centuries along its banks. It is picturesque.
The river has an ugly side. If you live in its proximity you know that it floods. Closed roads, sandbags, levy's all attempt to contain it when it goes.... My wife and I came very close to buying a very old house close to its banks and eventually chickened out. Several years later the so called 100 year flood came to it's doors.
I have come to learn that it is one of the world's oldest rivers.
Finally, anyone who ever watched Abbot and Costello should know that name. One of their craziest routines highlighted the Susquehanna hat company.

Hi Benson
Hi MGC
Thank you both for your replies.
It's great to have access to these build sheets.
Interesting information regarding the name too.
I'm sure it is the canoe mentioned but as I say will scour it for that serial number to be sure.
I will pass on all your valuable information.
Many Thanks again
Alick.

My client has found the serial number which is correct and has also told me he knew the original owners when he was a youngster and remembers the canoe from there.
It will be making it's way to my workshop in the near future.
Many Thanks
Alick

Back