bilge keels, about installation, dimensions, shape

pathologist

Curious about Wooden Canoes
The 1924 Old Town I acquired was without bilge keels although the mounting holes for them are apparent in older ribs. New ribs were installed in a previous restoration in both bow and stern and without mounting holes, offering no indication as to the length of the bilge keels. For a proper and ACCURATE restoration: 1. How long should they be on this 17 ft. boat? 2. Are the bilge keels the same profile, width and height, as the center keel? 3. If so, are the ends tapered as on the center keel? 4. How are the keel ends attached to the hull and protected?

My recollection is that bilge keels are the same profile as the center keel and tapered on the ends in the same way. You should be able to estimate the length from the screw holes. I don't believe that there is any special protection on the keel ends. The boat listed at http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4148809805.html has some pictures that may help. Someone with more restoration experience may be able to offer additional details. Good luck,

Benson

The bilge keels only extended to where the hull started to curve. On a 17' OT this is probably 6-7 feet. The ends were tapered into the hull and were covered with brass stem band material. The brass ends were long enough to cover three ribs and were riveted through the hull and ribs to make them secure. Hopefully, someone will post a picture of the ends.

Here is a picture showing bilge keels that I snapped in passing this past summer at the WCHA Assembly. The cropped photo shows the keel ends with brass rub rails -- I think there may be enough detail to be helpful if your photo viewer can enlarge or zoom in. I don't know the make of the canoe.

3 s 100_2771.jpg 2 cr 100_2771.JPG

Agree with all and add - Old Town notched the ends of the bilge keels for the length of the brass so that the brass was received into the notch and did not stand above the keels as they appear in Greg's photo. The end of the brass against the canvas actually extended about an eighth inch beyond the wood of the keel and was tight to the canvas preventing any possible pull up from flotsam, roots, etc.

This blue canoe may be Bill Merritts, and if so it is an Old Town,15', if I remember correctly. Tom McCloud

My "thank you" for the valuable info should have been as fast as your reply to my question!!! Sincere thanks, Pathologist

Back