Shellac

I am currently trying dewaxed flakes. The mixing was uneventful, but I did have a bit of a hard time trying to find fairly pure denatured alcohol. Most hardware store varieties are about 40 to 50% ethyl alcohol. Klean Strip Green was available at Home Depot and it is approximately 90% ethyl alcohol. The flake people suggest that the more ethyl the better.

Here is a stripped OTCA with five new ribs and a fair amount of new planking. I stripped the old varnish, stained the new wood, and now it has two coats of shellac. The first coat was an orange/amber and I mixed a little garnet in the second coat. The stain and shellac do a pretty good job of hiding the new wood.

The shellac will serve as a sealer. I will add multiple coats of spar varnish now.

Fitz.

Attachments

• Shellac.jpg
    Shellac.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 363
Grain alcohol (190 proof Everclear) may be available at your local liquor store. An added benefit is that it doesn't have the poisons used to denature alcohol.

Oh sure Dan! I have a hard enough time explaining this hobby to the missus. If she catches me buying 'shine to "make shellac", that just might push her over the edge. :cool:

Fitz, You might find Everclear a little on the pricey side for shellac but you could always drink what was left over. I have also used "100%" pure shellac solvent from Brooklyn Tool and Craft. Here is the link. http://www.brooklyntoolandcraft.com/supplies.htm
BT & C is the wholesale division of Tools for Working Wood. I tried to find the solvent on the Tools for Working Wood website but could not find it although I have ordered it from them before. Perhaps a phone call to their customer service number would work. (800-426-4613 )
I usually use the Klean Strip Green which I get at my local Ace Hardware Store. It seems to work fine and I can get it without mailorder.
Give that canoe a good shellacking!

Fitz, at risk of diverting this humorous diversion: I found Sunnyside denatured alcohol (white can with yellow and black bands) at our local Ace Hardware which uses the True Value products at a very reasonable price (can't remember, but cheap). It was one of several I found on a list 2 years ago as pure. My ShellacShack source also mentioned that he had never seen any problem using the mixed products. I don't know if True Value services your neck of the woods.

I think there may be more than one Sunnyside product (similar to Klean Strip and Klean Strip Green). I should have mentioned that one way to check the purity is to pull up the MSDS. It provides the percentage of ingredients. They are not provided on the can.

http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/info_sheets/Denatured Alcohol 834 Product Data Sheet.pdf

Yeah, wonder how much the purity really matters too. My wife the chemist suggested that it may make a difference, but did not provide an adequate reason. I guess I could switch to 'shine after all!:cool:

Ha! Thanks Fitz. I guess I got mislead; that is my product. There are so many variables in comparing the finished coating that it would take some serious scientific testing to really determine what makes a difference and when. The Sunnyside seems fine, but the finish does seem a bit softer than I am used to. Could be the quality of the flake, humidity, temperature, type of wood, etc.

FITZ.....I have the EC190 "solution" for wifey. It is limoncello as the reason for the bottle hanging about. When you make some of your own....you will know what I mean. It works in my house.

Sunnyside Corp. does list a denatured alcohol solvent that is 95 percent, but I am not sure it is available retail.

Limoncello - that just might work for rib matching too!

BIG thanks to all of You for all Your messages in this post - for Zinsser and for shellac.net
As a beginner (I never seen shellac and can't find it on local market, so I'll buy it in US) I decided to take Zinsser for my first experience with this staff - just to know it.
But anyway, need Your help:
1. tell me please, can I use shellac directly on the oil-based filler or just after the paint (Kirby's paint)? I mean - is amber shellac transparent or it's really fully orange and after 3 coats I'll have 100% amber colour without any signs of filler under it?
2. if I use clear shellac, can I apply it over the paint to have good transparent protection for my paint? Is this clear shellac really clean or it's a bad idea at all?

Thank You

Back