Recommended sources for w/c material?

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I've been using the Northwinds folks for buying w/c canoe material in the past - things like filler, canvas, hardware, etc. I've no complaints with them - I'm just wondering if there are other suppliers out there any of you would care to recommend.

Hi Howie, I saw your post here and wondered if you ever had any replies. I'm in northern Michigan and finishing a '26 Carlton with Rollin Thurlow materials and starting on one of my great grandpa's O'Dette Trappers. Do you have a list for materials that you would be willing to share?

I hope to be a "retired gentleman canoe builder/restorer" like yourself someday. I'm only 60 so I have a ways to go yet.

Thanks, and I love your posts. Here are the two I have on deck with two more in the rafters. Waiting for warmer weather to paint one and just started the O'Dette. Here's some pics of my first one and a few of the O'Dette - also a bio on my great grandpa in case you're interested.

John

Attachments

• restore begins 2.JPG
    restore begins 2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 274
  • Scan10002.JPG
    Scan10002.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 282
  • O'Dette biographical reflection (unrecorded author) .pdf
    382 KB · Views: 418
  • O'Dette biographical reflection (unrecorded author) .pdf
    382 KB · Views: 295
  • restore begins 2.JPG
    restore begins 2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 293
  • restore begins 1.JPG
    restore begins 1.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_E2282.JPG
    IMG_E2282.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 310
Hi John... Thanks for contacting me, and for the kind words. I too get some material from Rolin, but there's also Island Falls Canoe who has material that Rolin doesn't mention in his on-line listing. For example I get my keel cup washers from them. And I use Jamestown Distributers for paint & varnish - lately I've been using their Wet Edge stuff. And for the past few years I get canvas and filler from Pat at West Hollow Canoe - his shop is about 45 minutes south from me.

I like your shop. Or is it a garage? Is it heated? I'm afraid my garage isn't heated so I'm reduced to doing work in the basement over the winter. Things like making thwarts & seats, plus caning, etc.

I'll read about your relative later. It's really great you have all this stuff written down - along with pictures.

Thanks, Howie. I appreciate the info.

My "shop" is really a third RV garage at my home. It has a high ceiling and is about 10' longer and a bit wider than my regular car garage. It is a tight fit to have 2 canoes going at once but perfect for just one. It's not heated 24/7 - just when I turn on the propane heater. It usually stays above freezing until we get into December - March which is when I run the propane heater when I am out working on things. My basement is finished but my son lives down there (he's still in HS) so working down there is not an option for now.

We are having a long fall this winter as we haven't really had much snow or cold. Today is sunny and 40's. We usually have 3 feet of snow by now. The weather has been nice so I can work in shirt sleeves in the garage or a sweatshirt.

I showed my mom some pictures of the canoe and she said, "That looks like one of grandpa O'Dette's canoes!" She talked about when she was a little girl at her grandfather's shop, J.B. O'Dette & Sons. She's 95 and I was surprised that she could remember his canoes from so long ago.

Thanks again for the info. I will keep my eye on your projects. They are always of interest as is your humor!

jm

Back