Old Town #786-84-6, a 12 footer?

rapidan

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi again, and thanks so much for this service. My sis sent me a few pictures of this boat and reported the serial number as 786-84-6.

11'6" long and 36" wide! Like a baby peapod.

Thanks for any info you might have,

PK

This is from a period when Old Town's record keeping was no longer being done on paper so there may not be any more information available. It should have a hull identification number (HIN) on the starboard stern that begins with XTC and ends with an encoded date. The page at http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm has more information about interpreting a HIN. Please post some pictures of the canoe and the HIN here. Thanks,

Benson

Thank you Benson - word is that it's glassed, it's a few hours away from me but I have the owner's contact info. He thought ca.1960, is that at all accurate?
(EDIT - after following your link, I see it's likely a much newer boat, thanks!)

Here are a few pics - IMG_20141212_184821.jpgIMG_20141212_184807.jpg

He thought ca.1960, is that at all accurate?

The charts at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/oldtown_chart.html indicate that a circa 1960 canoe is likely to have a serial number in the 170,000 range. The build record for serial number 186864 shows a 16 foot long fiberglass canoe from 1971. The seats, thwart, and name plate all indicate a much more modern build. The HIN should confirm this (if it is still there). I have sent messages to the factory to see if any additional information is available but probably won't hear back until after Monday.

Benson

Last edited:
Thanks for the help with this, it's an amazing resource. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll be learning anything else about this boat anytime soon.

PK

Last edited:
The factory has just reported that there doesn't appear to be a record for this serial number "but there were some cards from the same time frame that make this a 2003-2004 model." It appears to be an 11 foot long Trapper model.

Benson

Last edited:
Thanks so much for following through on this, Benson. Heck, it's practically new! Very interesting boat. I appreciate it.

PK

The factory has just reported that there doesn't appear to be a record for this serial number "but there were some cards from the same time frame that make this a 2003-2004 model." It appears to be an 11 foot long Trapper model.

Benson - Can you share some details? What number did OT report on? How is it known that this is the canoe? And the canoe's finish looks aged beyond 12 or so years. Just curious.

A couple of thoughts... It does look older than 2004.
The number could have been mis-read....
Is there a decal, or enameled brass logo on the bow deck? Brass logo tags came into the production in 1978-79, I believe.
When did Island Falls take over OT production?

Can you share some details? What number did OT report on? How is it known that this is the canoe? And the canoe's finish looks aged beyond 12 or so years.

They didn't provide the actual serial numbers or any other details to share. I have assumed that this canoe has serial number 786846 as specified in the thread's title. The finish does look aged but I have always been amazed at how old the finish can look on some very new canoes and in other cases how new the finish can look on some very old canoes. This is not a great indicator of actual age in my experience.

Is there a decal, or enameled brass logo on the bow deck? Brass logo tags came into the production in 1978-79, I believe.
When did Island Falls take over OT production?

The attached picture appears to show a decal instead of the brass logo. The brass ones did first appear in 1979 as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/covers/large-79.gif on the cover of the catalog. The oldest record that I have for an Old Town canoe built at Island Falls is for number 787030 that was built between January and March of 2010. The yoke style center thwart in this canoe was first shown in the 1997 catalog. The images below show similar decals from the decks of two canoes with serial numbers 786862 and 786865 that were built in 2002 with some other details .

Benson

Attachments

• 2002-786865.jpg
    2002-786865.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 324
  • 786865.jpg
    786865.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 786865-a.jpg
    786865-a.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 2002-786862.jpg
    2002-786862.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
The current owner of this canoe thinks that it has been 'glassed over the original canvas. He says there's no hull number evident. If I learn anything more about it from him I'll pass it along. My sister spotted the boat and sent me the pics from her phone, I never got to see it in person. She is an attorney and not given to inaccuracy, so I have to trust her on the serial #. She did say that the hyphens were hers, meant to denote spaces in the stamped serial #. If I learn anything more I'll pass it along.

Back