Old Town 15 footer #127090

Splinter

Wood Girl #1186
On my way home from work yesterday, I passed a canoe sitting near the road with a for sale sign on it. Circled back for mission of discovery. Clearly stamped stems: 127090 15. Old town decal still visible enough to easily detect Old Town name. Inventory of characteristics: The whole boat is in one piece. Gunwales appear original and unbroken and uncracked inwale and out wale. Center thwart,unbroken, looks "newish" as no dents or dings seem visible and are in Ash, Not what ever that wood is that is used for the gunwales. Seats are original with original unbroken caning. Decks are original and in good shape, appear to be Ash as well. There is no original finish left on the decks or gunwales but, I could not really detect any dry rot. All but one rib tip is there but, one has it's top about 1/2" missing. Stems are unbroken although the stern stem has a lateral crack along the base. NO END ROT present that I can detect without crawling under the hood so to speak. Stem bands both present and appear original, stern stem band has a ring, also present and in excellent shape but, appropriately oxidized like the stem bands. I know by now some of you are drooling. Well, get a tissue to mop it up because here's the bad news.... All the ribs and cant ribs are present but, 10 of them are cracked. I see at least 3 planks that need a section replaced. Not so bad and anticipated on a canoe of 100 years. The entire exterior of the canoe is encased in a masterfully applied layer of fiberglass and painted over in green resulting in the optical illusion that this is a forest green painted wood and canvas canoe. The punchline is that same person who glassed it also fashioned a galvanized steel keel that has been fastened over the wood keel with metal machine screws about every 6 inches on both side edges of the keel. The entire interior of the canoe is painted a tannish-peach color, perhaps only one coat and likely not too bad to strip. He refused my offer saying he has too much into it (although he has done no work on it himself) he's referring to what he paid for it in that exact condition a few months ago. Would love to see build record if still available. If not, what does anyone think this is worth? Sorry, I didn't have a way to take a photo with me at the time, so no pictures.

The Old Town Canoe with serial number 127090 is a 15 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, fifty pound model with open spruce gunwales, oval outside finish rails, a keel, and low bob stay painter rings on the bow and stern. It was built between March and May, 1939. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It was shipped on May 17th, 1939 to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. A scan showing this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description don't match the canoe. The information at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57 may help you determine a reasonable value. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 127090.gif
    127090.gif
    49.2 KB · Views: 145
Being a 15'er is a plus and the only reason I would have any interest. 'glass is a big minus to my way of thinkin'. Paint on the inside is a minus. 10 broken ribs is a neutral or slight minus. I'd go $200 maybe. I'd be curious of other members' opinions, sight unseen.

Back