Linkanoe Serial Number

Renkoda

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,
I have a linkanoe I just bought with the serial number;
I492 I,m not sure if the first item is a number one or a capital I.
It looks like a letter.
Thanks,Dave

Linkanoe numbers

No production records are known to have survived from Linkanoe manufacture. Dan is correct that they were only made for about 3 years in the late 1940's. You have not mentioned where you see your serial number. At the factory, each of the 10 sections had a serial number painted on the exterior of the hull in dark red paint, near the keel line, and near where 4 sections join, as in this attachment. All of those that I have seen are 4 numbers. If your canoe was assembled at the factory then all 10 numbers will be the same, but if assembled from random parts, or broken parts replaced, then some numbers will be different. I've seen only one Linkanoe that had numbers stamped into the the wood of the internal stem, and have no idea what they were for. Each year one or two Linkanoes have shown up on Ebay, and if they sell, generally go for $500 or so. But I have not seen one that was 'complete', including a functional boot, two usable storage sacks and two sectional paddles. Tom McCloud

Attachments

• STH70725_Link_number_edited-3.jpg
    STH70725_Link_number_edited-3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 229
Linkanoe

No production records are known to have survived from Linkanoe manufacture. Dan is correct that they were only made for about 3 years in the late 1940's. You have not mentioned where you see your serial number. At the factory, each of the 10 sections had a serial number painted on the exterior of the hull in dark red paint, near the keel line, and near where 4 sections join, as in this attachment. All of those that I have seen are 4 numbers. If your canoe was assembled at the factory then all 10 numbers will be the same, but if assembled from random parts, or broken parts replaced, then some numbers will be different. I've seen only one Linkanoe that had numbers stamped into the the wood of the internal stem, and have no idea what they were for. Each year one or two Linkanoes have shown up on Ebay, and if they sell, generally go for $500 or so. But I have not seen one that was 'complete', including a functional boot, two usable storage sacks and two sectional paddles. Tom McCloud

Hi, Tom
My serial numbers are all on the bottom sections as you stated,going by your attached
Picture yours looks the same.The one looks like a capital I as stated mine is I492.
I bought mine on ebay they had listed for $950.00 ,they took my offer for $200.00
And I picked up.I would say it is in pretty good shape for the year ,I do how ever have a
Section with two small cracks on the floor.I'm just not sure how to repair the cracks without
taking away from the canoe.
Thank you for your reply,
Dave

Back