Help with ID

Steve Ambrose

Nut in a Canoe
IMG_3965.JPG

When this first showed up I thought it was a garage build but in the process of taking it apart we uncovered a serial number in a distinctive font: 833 33 16

The down-turned ends that we thought might have been a chop job appear to be original based on one of the stems still intact.

The original decks, rails, thwarts and seats are long gone plus it's been glassed. The ribs don't taper but are beveled suggesting original closed gunwale construction.

Any suggestions?

IMG_3966.JPG
IMG_3970.JPG
IMG_3971.JPG
IMG_3974.JPG
IMG_3976.JPG

I agree (intentionally didn't mention it to see if someone would confirm). The only other serial numbers I've seen with the open font were Robertson's. Did any Robertson's ever have down-swept ends? The sheer line on this suggested it had been chopped but once we removed the "rails" and monster decks we uncovered beveled rib tips (except along the decks) and one end has an original stem meaning the odd profile is probably original.

Looking at pictures of Robertson courting canoes the ends on this one might make sense. The courting canoe profile shows a tight recurve then the stem straightens out on its way to the tip. I can see where if the ends rotted a chop job would result in the flattened or downturned ends.

Back