What to do with my Thompson?

DaveP

955.jpgI have a 17' Thompson Canoe that has been in my family since the late 1920's. My grandfather bought it out of a trainwreck and patched the hole in it. The canvas appears to be in good shape, there appear to be no broken ribs and it has several coats of paint some of which have cracked.

The question: Given its good condition, am I better off simply sanding it and repainting and perhaps revarnishing the interior or should I do a complete restore? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Dave Peterson
Pentwater, MI

Attachments

• 956.jpg
    956.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
I think four people would give five opinions on what to do. You'll have to decide based on your skills and commitment. Pictures will help get some input.

Regardless of what you decide to do, the WCHA Assembly next summer features Thompson canoes, so you should plan to attend.

Lovely Lapeer, home of the kingdom of derelict canoe whisperings. Where a Thompson, OT, IG, St Louis, Dean, and others are resurrected, more or less.

Good luck with your Thompson!
I see a lot of Thompson's in my shop here in Wisconsin. Often maligned because they don't have the perceived romanticism of canoes from Canada and the eastern US. They are one of the finest built canoes ever.... in my estimation. I'm always amazed at the condition of the planking, no matter what the overall condition of the canoe. Thompson used great straight grained edge sawn western red cedar for their planking. Rarely do you see a canoe with large gaps in the old planks. I sometimes joke that Thompson got the pick of the red cedar off the rail cars before it went on to Old Town.

Last edited:
Dave-

thanks. If you could take a look at the pics and give me an opinion I'd appreciate it.

Dave Peterson

If it were mine, I'd do a complete restoration....., but that's what I do.
However it apears to be a solid, paddlable canoe. It can be used just as grandpa did. You can sand and repaint the hull, but you have to remember in this case your last coat of paint is really only as good as what you are covering. It's really only temporary. The cracks will appear again.
There is a good chance that the bedding under the keel has dried out and water seeps in. If so, the keel should be removed and re-bedded to prevent leakage and rot to the keel.
The varnish looks "tight" without blistering and crazing. That too, could be sanded and revarnished.
So, you wondered what is better..... In my opinion, full restoration is better if you want to put the time and money into it, but not really necessary to enjoy the canoe.
100_1215.jpg

Attachments

• Quetico%2009.jpg
    Quetico%2009.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 100_0165.jpg
    100_0165.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Back