V stern reconstruction

Louis Michaud

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Bonjour,

My current project is the reconstruction of a 16' V stern Prospector (maybe Chestnut) type W/C. The stern and transom were badly smashed and I can't estimate the original dimensions. I would appreciate if somebody could post a few pictures to give me a general idea of the shape of the small transom and how it was fastened to the hull. A few numbers would also be welcomed: width of the transom at the gunwales, depth along the centerline and angle of the vertical. Was it a long shaft outboard (20') or a short shaft (15') that was used on these canoes?
Thanks!

Best,

Louis

You may be able to get some ideas from the catalogs as shown in the image below from the 1958 Chestnut catalog. More information like this is available at http://www.dragonflycanoe.com/cdrom.htm in the Canadian Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CD.

Benson

Attachments

• page-16.jpg
    page-16.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 576
This is the best photo I could find in my stuff. It's on an 18' Prospector 'Birch" model. It sure looks like the thing has a wineglass shape with a pretty clean stem down at the waterline. Somebody here must own one and hopefully can send some better photos and measurements.

Attachments

• File0001 copy.jpg
    File0001 copy.jpg
    593.6 KB · Views: 609
Thank you Tod and Benson. With these pictures and those I got from the archives I should be able to reconstruct the transom. I'll reverse-engineer the dimensions from the bracket on the outboard. Thanks again.

Best,

Louis Michaud

Found a little better one. Seeing the photo of that horrible looking lateen sail was one of the original reasons I wrote my book! It would take pages of text to explain all the things that are wrong with it.

Attachments

• fc26c575 copy.jpg
    fc26c575 copy.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 591
I just got some photos back from processing. I'll post a few of the "Y" stern once they are scanned. I also have a tracing. These are from a 16' Chestnut, quite likely a Prospector model.

Y-stern transom repair

I have just completed repair of a transom on a Y-stern CCC Prospector ("Miner" model). This is a 17 ft square-stern canoe that appears similar, if not identical, to a square stern Chestnut Prospector.

A prior owner had gunned too large a motor (5hp) in rough water - cracking the transom about 1/3 of the way up. To fix the ugly, but functional original repair, I had to remove the transom, rip out the cracked area, and glue in a strip of oak. The ends of the planking were nailed to the 3/4" think white oak transom with copper nails; in addition the transom was affixed to the gunwales and inner stem with 4 steel bolts and 2 screws. I used bronze ring nails and bronze carriage bolts for reattachment.

I have no measurements (the boat is at home, I'm supposedly at work), but for scale my assistant in the attached photos is a 12" shoulder height, 16 lb JRT. These pictures should at least show you the general transom shape and construction details. I could provide additional details if needed.

It sounds like you have a challenging task ahead!

Attachments

• transom fixed inside 480.jpg
    transom fixed inside 480.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 578
  • CCCP transom joint 640x480.jpg
    CCCP transom joint 640x480.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 565
  • CCCP restoration 024_640x480.jpg
    CCCP restoration 024_640x480.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 572
  • CCCP transom original 640x480.jpg
    CCCP transom original 640x480.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 621
  • CCC Prospector Miner 640x480.jpg
    CCC Prospector Miner 640x480.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 789
Great pictures with lots of info, Thanks!
Not too familiar with the terminolgy... Would this be a "V" stern ? It seems a lot bigger than the transoms in the pics posted by Todd. Todd's would be "Y" sterns, smaller than the "V" sterns ?
The Chestnut catalogues show very variable transom heights. So I guess transom height is not very critical. Whichever, long or short shaft, fits better a particular canoe...

Best,

Salut !

It has been a while since this topic was active.

I'm wondering if a short shaft outboard is suitable for a y-stern canoe ?

Thank-you,
Craig

Chestnut V stern

Here are some pictures of my V stern. The canoe was crushed when I restored it so the dimensions may not be exactly like the original. It measures 8 3/4" tall by 15 1/4 at the widest. Hope this helps. Pete

Attachments

• IMG_8567.jpg
    IMG_8567.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_8568.jpg
    IMG_8568.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 350
Thank-you for posting the photos. Fine job you did there !

Could you tell me what the distance is from the top of the transom to the bottom of the canoe. I believe that this would be the transom height.

What are the brass fitting for on the stern ?

Have you used an outboard with your canoe ? Do you use a short shaft or a long shaft ?

The distance from the top of the transom to the bottom of the canoe is a little hard to measure as there is alot of rocker in the stern. The height of the transom itself is about 8 3/4" If I run a tape down on the outside of the transom and sight along the flat run of the keel the distance is about 19". The brass fittings are for a rudder. I either row or sail the canoe so I have not used it with an outboard motor. Post some pictures of your canoe when you get a chance. Good Luck, Pete

Thank-you for the measurement. I don't know too much about this but it seems that even if the transom itself is 8 3/4", I think the functional transom height is 19", and a long-shaft outboard would be required. The anti-ventilation plate on the outboard is supposed to be 0-2" below the bottom of the boat. A short-shaft outboard fits a transom height of 15" and the long-shaft fits a transom height of 20". Anyone have any other thoughts ?

Back