the new easy rider(new canoe pic.)

bob goeckel

Wooden Canoe Maniac
from a friends form. he calls it the "willow leaf" model.

Attachments

• easy rider1.jpg
    easy rider1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 947
Last edited:
Looks like something Paul Miller would paddle!
I have a photo of Paul Miller's "Stars and Stripes", but it beats me on how to shrink the pixels...
Maybe Paul will chime in....?

And here's a spy photo!

That's not Captain America, it's Easy Rider. A spy photo proves it. Too bad the water is frozen. And I can verify up close it's real nice.

Attachments

• easy rider 4.jpg
    easy rider 4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 778
hope i didn't step on anyone's toes! i was not aware of anyone else using this paint scheme. my apologies to mr. miller, if he indeed he has done this already.

Last edited:
Easy Rider

Hi Bob,

My Dad was Mr. Miller, you can call me Paul.

I was trying to post a picture of my canoe yesterday but the formum did not recognise me.

I did have pictures posted on the Photo Album on this site but that must have been another one of the things we lost.

I'am going to post a picture of my canoe when I can get to my own computer.

But no, you didn't copy my paint scheme.

Good to be back,

Paul

Easy Rider

Hi All,

I found the picture Dave was going to send, hope it fits.

That's me in the back of the "Stars & Stripes" with my wife Cindy in the front.

Dave and his wife are in the canoe behind me in the Red Thompson.

I can't remember the name of the others you can see in the picture.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• 161-6122_IMG.JPG
    161-6122_IMG.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 848
Yep, Thats the picture!! Thanks for bailing me out Paul.......
What a great day on the water that was!! Look at Mark Morrall's little dog as a hood ornament. What a trooper!
This picture must have been taken shortly after the Illinois Dept. Conservation Officer gave us the lecture on proper watercraft registration and decal display. Thankfully it was only a warning. It could have actually been a $75 fine for the 4-5 Illinois canoes.

Bob, I seem to recall a certain Betsy Ross came up with the patern. She's passed on now and i never really knew her that well. I don't think she was much of a paddler anyway so I'm guessing you are safe with your paint job.

Maybe someone can recall one of the big companies using the stars and stripes pattern on a canoe for the bi-centennial? Was it OT? I need to check Sue's book, '1st 100 years'. Bob, the ice melted off the pond. I'm home tuesday and thursday eve if you wat to test paddle. Or I could. It'll be dark tho by 5:30p.

welllllll i'm sure not getting in that thing!!! LOL i guess that leaves you or rox. so we know who(m) it's gonna be.

I've fallen out of canoes not nearly as nice as that one. Lots of times. It's more stable than my DY Special. Very seaworthy. (Pond worthy?)
Gimme a call if you want to bring it over. We can report back to all.

?paint job

Hi Dpurcell,

Sorry I didn't notice your question until I was on line today. But I will try and answer your question.

I have attached a more close up picture of the paint job. First I paint the border color,(blue) then I mask it off about 2 1/2 to 3 inches from the gunnel (remember to allow for the gunnel so the border is the same size under the gunnel as it is at the stem). Then I paint the next color(red). The twin stripe is an automotive pin stripe and works great. The stars are like stickers with a sticky back after you peel of the back. My son-in-law got them for me,( by the way I have about 500 left over). The stars were even of a material thinner than the pin stripe. I spaced the stars with a small template so they are evenly space to put 50 on each gunnel from stem to stem.

To finish it up right, you have to shoot the whole thing with clear coat, that keeps all of those stars down, well sealed. Make for a very shinny canoe.

Contact me direct if you'd like more info.

Paul

P.S. I tried to add a second pic but no go.

Attachments

• IM000882.jpg
    IM000882.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 613
Mark Reuten said:
Has anybody ever seen an original Old Town fancy paint job. Were they stenciling, taping, freehanding?

Old Town used all three of these techniques at various times. A metal stencil was used for an oversized logo that was placed on some expedition and advertising canoes. Most designs were taped including the popular Indian design number four. A long time employee once commented that he would freehand stripes in his younger days but that was a many years ago.

Benson

Last edited:
Back