Restoring a 1950s Chestnut Ogilvy - but what type?

Douglas Kestell

Lignum Linter Fanaticus
Hello collective consciousness

I am restoring a 1950s Chestnut Ogilvy but don’t know what type it is. I’ve attached photos.

What determines the type?


  • 3A64971F-B65F-48F3-8ADD-C60EB1230275.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 1F137D03-5F0C-4C1C-A518-AADD3A51C82E.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 100

Todd Bradshaw

As far as I know "Ogilvie" is the type. They were available either with a normal stern or the Vee stern, like your canoe and had 3" wide ribs which were spaced about 1/2" apart. The various lengths offered each had names, like "Pool" "Trout" and "Salmo" so you just need to measure the canoe's length to figure out what model it is.