replacement gunwales are too short

johnhh

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Well, years ago i bought an 18 1/2 ft. 1929 Old Town Otca project. The previous owner had purchased replacement gunwales which i have finally gotten around to fitting up. Well, not quite, the replacement gunwales are too short by maybe 12".

Are there any structural strength considerations to be made, such as, should I scarf in an extension in the middle of the length? Or should I add the extension towards one end? Or do i need a one-piece gunwale?

Thanks, John H

There shouldn't be any structural issues, just used scarfed inner gunwales on a 1918 Old town 50 pounder. Just stick with around a 10:1 to 12:1 scarf length, pick an area with the least curvature and use a good glue, Titebond II or epoxy, I usually make a series of cross hatch marks with a utility knife on the surfaces to be joined.

Use Epoxy for the scarf glue. I mix wood flour, cab-o-sil, and ground glass in my mixture.

I've scarfed several set of gunnels, as long Ash is hard to come by. As suggested use a 10:1 or 12:1. I use a 11:1, and it is as strong as the wood.

I'd worry about Titebond in bad weather.

Jim

I did a repair on a porch board with TiteBond III. The glue seam turned milky white whenever it was damp.
Regardless of manufacturer claims, I'm suspicious of titeBondIII.
i use a 24 hour cure epoxy on scarfs....

Back