preparation for filling on canvas

restigouche

Good morning
I have a 19 ft chestnut that has previously been repaired in spots with fiberglass. The canvas is in good shape and tight to ribbing. Before i begin the fill process I need to know if i can get away with some small spots of fiberglass resin remaining on canvas. I am at a point now where in trying to get all resin off i am doing more damage than good to canvas. Want to do the right thing so any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

Restigouche

mastic prep update

Good morning
I have a 19 ft chestnut that has previously been repaired in spots with fiberglass. The canvas is in good shape and tight to ribbing. Before i begin the fill process I need to know if i can get away with some small spots of fiberglass resin remaining on canvas. I am at a point now where in trying to get all resin off i am doing more damage than good to canvas. Want to do the right thing so any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

Restigouche

I have received some sound advice from a boat builder. He suggests that I should simple try some of the mastic on the area of canvas where I was unable to fully remove fiberglass resin. He also advised to avoid the use of 5200 glue anywhere on the canoe. Appears it is near impossible to remove.

Restigouche

Resin is on raw canvas

The resin is on raw canvas?
Ditto on the advice to avoid 5200...

Dave
Yes, resin is on raw canvas and in one worn spot on bow embedded in wood. I managed to get most of the resin off in other spots when I removed layers of paint with heat gun. However in spite of using some chemicals in spots the resin remains. My experience with the 5200 came from advice received to fill a small gouge in bow. Also i had planned on using the glue when i reinstalled Appears to be not so good an idea.
My concern is that i will soon after applying mastic see chipping from poor adhesion. The canoe has had many years of use by unknown persons however the canvas looks and feels to be in in good condition.
AS you can appreciate I have put a lot of hrs into this project and now i am dealing with the details of how much resin needs to be removed without destroying the canvas? So, I plan on trying the mastic in a couple of spots to see.
Do appreciate your reply.
In Labrador there is a tradition of retiring old boats to the garden. Cabbage and other greens grow wonderful in them. I fear that if i do not get the details right i may be growing cabbage in her next fall.

regards

Restigouche

Not sure I understand, but canvas doesn't last forever. If the canvas is old and already has rips in it, maybe it's time for new canvas. If the old canvas is already weak, you will be putting quite a lot of effort into your restoration, but it may not last as long as you would hope for. Tom McCloud

I'm not a fan of removing old paint. Most folks would have removed the old canvas and stretched new canvas.
Maybe try a fairing compound on the bad spots and re-paint.....?

McCloud & Dave
Yes, re canvas is the obvious choice, but there are some of us who like knocking our heads. The would never have been attempted if not for the poor job previously done in prep for painting. It literally peeled like an onion in most areas and then the challenge of resin spots. The fairing looks like an option for sure. Have done some searching and only wish I had this information when i used marine glue. Do appreciate your replies. If fairing and mastic do not work. McCloud is right.
Regards
Restigouche

If the paint peeled like an onion, I'd be skeptical about painting it again.
Maybe it was a paint problem, maybe it was a problem with what was under the paint.

At best, what you are doing is a short term remedy.

Back