Penn Yan cartopper project

Shaun

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Cartopper 004.jpg

Bought myself a doosie of a project. Reported to be an early '40s Penn Yan cartopper ultralight model. No numbers on the remaining parts to identify exactly.

Restoration started and abandoned by previous owner - (fiberglassed) canvas removed, 10 of the 35 damaged ribs replace, new inwale and deck, some planking. Lots and lots of work left on this one! All brass hardware intact (missing only tie ring) and enough CWC to make the balance of the ribs plus some CWRC planking. Seat frames in sad shape but present. Came with a gallon of traditional canvas filler and a roll of what feels like #12 canvas.

First of what will likely be a series of questions; What weight of canvas would be appropriate for a light weight pre war cartopper?

Seems like I have read that #8 canvas was used before the later experiments with with more modern aircraft wing cloth and dope. I have two concerns with the canvas supplied. First it is 60" width and the gunnel to gunnel measure is 60" - not much wiggle room or extra for stretching pliers. Second concern is this is an extremely light weight hull structure with out even the short extra floor ribs between the long ribs. Feels like a foot would punch right through stepping from the dock. Maybe heavier #8 would add strength...

Thanks Dave, leaning towards ordering some #8 canvas 6' wide.

Progress today: built a 6 ft steamer from some cheap pine (2-2x8-6, 2-2x6-6, 2-3/8-3 dowlels plus some shop scraps) and a $50 wallpaper steamer from box lumber yard.

Cartopper 010.jpg Cartopper 011.jpg

Works fine. Took about 30 mins to make full steam starting with container full of cold water. Second batch of ribs steaming in 10 mins with half container of hot water. Enough to do two 40 min batches with one fill up. Can fit 6 - 1 1/16 x 1/4 ribs at a time. Bent 10 new ribs this afternoon before running low on clamps.

Cartopper 016.jpg

Update on progress. Did you ever think it would be easier to just start from scratch? Good thing I'm retired.

Last 5 whole ribs steamed and bent

Cartopper 017.jpg

Progress of rib replacement

Cartopper 018.jpg

One seat rail was bowed almost an inch. Added it to the steam batch and clamped it straight.

Cartopper 019.jpg

Lots left to do but enjoying the process. New #8 canvas and caning materials arrived in the mail, but several days work between now and those parts of the job.

This cartopper came with 10 ribs replaced by the party who started restoration. I have replaced another 20 for a total of 30 out of 51 ribs replaced. Some planking replacement had been started, but gaps up to 1/8" were left and so I have removed these. For some reason the original worker had decided to stain the new ribs and planks a dark brown and the ribs were left square (original ribs parallelogram cross section). I can sand and trim the ribs but the poorly fit dark planking had to go. Original planking is western red cedar and fortunately a generous supply of red cedar planking was included in the deal.

Cartopper 020.jpg Cartopper 023.jpg

Plan to start from the center line and work outwards with plank replacement. Thinking of making some sort of anvil stand for nailing this middle planking as the reach is too much for me. 45" beam instead of the 36" or less on a canoe. Will let you know if I come up with a mechanical helper to cinch the tacks.

Even though the end is still a long way off, I am headed back to Ohio next week to visit family and will pick up the next project on the way. More after the new year...

Back