Old Town OTCA SN 14540 16 (?)

Old_Paddler

Canoe nut
I picked up an OTCA 16, the SN appears to be 14540.
Searching 14540 and 14540x, the only one that is an OTCA is 14540.

EDITED: At first I thought the inwales were mahogany, but I have been corrected (thank you Mike). Both seats and one thwart do appear to be mahogany. This means it most likely is 14540 CS OTCA 16.

It was hanging in a garage as a "some day" project for a wood worker, but he died before he got to it.

It came with outwales, one of which needs to be scarfed together and the other is missing a tip - but the holes don't line up, so they are probably from another canoe.
I was able to also get a set of new old stock mahogany outwales that were probably purchased for this project.

I have some new old stock brass stem bands. diamond head bolts and screws for the gunwales.

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 14540.jpg
    14540.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 14540 16.jpg
    14540 16.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Russ, To my eye the thwarts look like ash, the inside rails are spruce and it's hard to tell what the seats are but more than likely, ash.
The decks are ash.
Are the outside rails made of mahogany?
Mike

Mike,
Thank you!!!

I looked at the gunwales closer and I think you are right about the inwales. The outwales that came with the boat appear to be ash, but I don't think it is from the canoe because I can't get the holes to line up...could be doing something wrong.

The front thwart appears to be ash, but the other one and the seats have graining that looks like mahogany to me...then again they could have been changed sometime in the last 110 years.

I updated OP

Russ

Last edited:
Reactions: MGC
When I got this canoe home, I seriously considered restoring it myself until I realized how old it was.
This canoe deserves to be restored by someone with far more skill than I have - to do it right.
In the next couple of days, I will post it in classifieds.
Thank you, Mike, and those who emailed me with information about the canoe.

Russ, I may be headed to WNY next week, will be getting a canoe I have stashed in the Finger Lakes. Will see how far it is from your next of the woods.

Todd,
I sent you my email address in the messages back and forth, contact me through email, quicker and easier for me.
Would love to meet you.

Last edited:
Back