New Skin On Frame canoe

Paul Montgomery

Peace, Love, Sawdust
This was a very odd build for me because I built it 'on the fly' with no plans or even a plan in mind. (Not recommended!) There is still a lot of work to do such as seats etc.

For the sake of brevity I will just post a finished picture but the all the sordid details (and more to come) can be seen here:

http://localhost/pao/notebook/phoenix/

maidenvoyage1.jpg

Thanks,

Paul M

As a skin on frame builder I'm perhaps biased but in the great trade off in boat designs, SOF has a lot going for it. They are light, flexible and strong, and very cheap to make. The reason we don't see much in the way of commercially built SOF boats is not because they are of low quality or weak ( they aren't at all! ) but because they are labor intensive to build. For a guy with more time than money ( and not much time either ) they are a good way to get into a good quality boat inexpensively.

Nice build Paul!

I've built several strippers, and I'm not always happy with the weight. I'm getting old, and my canoes seem to get heavier!
What does your SOF weigh?
You're getting me intrigued !

Jim

I haven't weighed this one yet. Usually 20 - 30 lbs or so, depending on what kind of boat I'm building. Adding accessories like seats and foot pegs adds a surprising amout of weigh fast. I use a lot of cedar to keep the weight down.

Back