Mystery Canoe serial number 36 9307

Emma Westling

Hello Wise Ones,
I recently rescued a very nice wood and canvas canoe (in need of some work) from the trash and before I begin mucking around with it I would love to find out more about it. I'm a wood canoe noob but I've done some reading around this site and I've ordered Mike Elliot's book.

The serial number (36 9307) on the canoe can be found on the bow stem only. I've included some photos but I have yet to take measurements. Please let me know what you think and what other information or photos would be helpful for identification. Many thanks!

Emma

Attachments

• IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    432.3 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 358
Hello Emma:

Looks like a great little rescue project. Congrats! Some measurements will help, but I think you might have a Chestnut Chum, or "peternut" equivalent. It has a shoe keel too. There are no serial number records remaining for these Canadian canoes, so we may not be able to tell more from the serial number. The "36" does not appear to reflect the beam. Chums are fine paddling canoes and very popular among friends of mine.

Others will likely chime in especially if you can get some measurements.

Cheers,

Fitz

Hello,
Measurements are as follows:
14' LOA
30" beam at the gunwales, 32" at widest point
Ribs: 1.5"
Space between ribs: 1.5"
Depth: 13" measured from rib, ~13.5 measured from plank

My snooping on canoeguybc.wordpress seems to indicate a Chestnut Playmate? Does that sound likely? I'd love to know where I can find out what species were used for the various components.
Thanks again!

Playmate sounds good. From your photos, I would guess the trim (seats, thwart, decks) are maple. The inwales appear to be ash. Ribs and planking are both likely to be northern white cedar.

Back