Mildewcide

Ron Bedard

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello
There’s a lot of related info in these threads but there doesn’t seem to be a concensus on the best way. I’m about to re-canvas an O.T. 18, and wish I knew exactly how the original builders dealt with treating for mold/mildew. I’m using untreated #10 Duck (I don’t think they used treated duck back then) and I have got to believe that the inside of the canvas against the planks is most at risk from mold. The side covered with filler and paint must be pretty well protected by all those coats.
My plan is to spray a mildewcide/preventer onto the inside of the canvas before applying it to the hull. Then I’ll add some mildewcide paint additive to the filler (Robson’s Mastic) and leave it at that. Unless I learn otherwise, I’ve got to believe that this is more than the original builders did in this regard.
I’m reluctant to do anything that really soaks the canvas after I’ve stapled it onto the hull.
Happy to have any advice from someone with some successful re-canvas experience.
BTW, Big Duck Canvas in Atlanta Ga. is a wonderful outfit to deal with. They should perhaps be listed in the Vendors section? If there’s a nomination process?
Thanks
Ron

Just had a thought. (Usually means trouble). I’m about to coat the hull with thinned varnish (a good way to use up thinner from cleaning brushes) and I don’t see any reason not to add some mildew preventer to that mixture as well.

Hello Dave,
I did see that mentioned, but I guess that avenue is closed.
I used to love your Dare-devil appearances. :)

Hi Dave,

“Super-Dave Osborne was a spoof of Evel Kneivel during the eighties I think. All of his stunts would go terribly wrong. I’d bet you could find clips on YouTube. I think he may have had a short-lived TV show of his own. Pretty funny!

I usually apply a coat of preservative to the canvas after it is on and let it dry for a while so there is little off-gassing of fumes. The thin liquid will definitely soak through the canvas so no need to precoat before putting it on. Simple wood preservative from local hardware supply.

Hello Rod,
That's what I'll do! I've already given the hull a coat of thinned varnish, and added a bit of mildewcide to that. If I can safely treat the canvas while it's on, I won't have to spread out 20+ feet in order to spray it.
Thanks!
Ron

Ron,
Remember that the filler should be rubbed in, filling the weave of the canvas, and not just coating 1 side.
I put those little 1 oz packets of mildewcide in the filler along with using treated canvas.
Dan

The side covered with filler and paint must be

Back