Great Lakes Regional

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Heading out to the Great Lakes Regional Assembly this weekend. Crooked Lake Camp Ground near Lake City, MI.

Had a great turn out for the assembly this past weekend, thanks to all of you that were able to make it. 2015-08-15 05.56.41.jpg2015-08-15 10.49.51.jpg2015-08-15 14.09.37.jpg

Did anyone get a count on the number of canoes? Looks like a spectacular turnout! Thanks for your hard work on this!

We missed you Kathy, hope you are feeling better! There were close to 70 canoes! Parking lot attendant said there was close to 400 people coming and going.

Wonderful! The Great Lakes Regional Assembly just keeps growing!

Missed you all, but glad I stayed home and got past the tough post-surgical bits. Today I'm feeling almost kinda normal. We have HarborFest (in Marquette) at the end of the month... an opportunity to display canoes and pass out WCHA literature. Then my old Morris can be put to bed for the winter and the Chestnut can head to Jag Lake with us in September!

It was a real good time for all. Craig Kitchen canvassed a Morris with my supervision. It was his first solo canvassing. He did get a little help from others, including Pam Wedd. I helped keep him honest, and answered questions from the congregation. Gil was looking on and I did not see any looks of concern, so it must have been ok.

Apparently my reputation is well known within the Mi chapter. A gentleman from Saginaw dropped off a derelict Kennebec with the instructions to give it to someone who would not cut it up and who would send a photo when it's restored. I'm not sure who all attended the subsequent meeting of the minds but my name was brought up as the likely recipient. I am thrilled to take on this project. And I was surpirsed when Russ told me about it and presented me with the brass tag. I have an Indian Girl 3020 on the horses at the time but it may go on the rack once the inwales are installed so I can work on the Kennebec.

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 429
I do not know if anyone counted but there were 24 or so canoes in the paddle by and at least another 15 on the grass. So maybe 40 canoes would be a good guess.

Anyone who took photos at this event, and might like to see them printed in Wooden Canoe, is welcome to send me high-resolution versions of their photos.

Thanks!
Dan

I think Russ said he counted 54. I talked to several guys who showed me pictures of several that they had and wanted advice on restoring them. I think several guys talked to Gil about restoring their canoes.

Does anyone know the name of the person selling the bits of the Link canoe? Is it still available?

Later-Bud

Yes, I have the information on the lady selling the Linkcanoe. I was hoping to attend the assembly and feel bad that she was probably looking for me. She said she lived a quarter mile from where the event was held. I'll send the information via private message.

We may never know for sure how many canoes there were. There were a number of canoes on display that were not registered. There were also a few that were never unloaded for one reason or another.

Back