Fiberglass removal

Hummy

Canoe Dude
Hi gang! I'm considering taking a look at this 1943 OTCA as my project boat. The seller has provided these pix and states that sometime prior to 1986 someone had applied fiberglass to the exterior of the hull. Looking at these pix it appears that the canvas is gone and the fiberglass resin was applied directly to the wood. How bad of a job would it be to remove it, if it can even be done? Thanx!

$_57-1.jpg $_57-2.jpg

Do a search on these forums for fiberglass removal, you'll find several threads. Also look on YouTube; I believe Kathy Klos posted a video showing Denis Kallery doing this.

It's not terribly difficult, but it requires a lot of patience. You need a heat gun to soften the resin, and a putty knife to separate the glass cloth from the wood. Don't think it's a quick job -- the faster you try to go, the more wood you'll pull up with the cloth. Patience, patience, patience...

My advice is to find another boat, especially if this is your first restoration. Removing FG without significantly damaging the planking is difficult, and can be very frustrating to the point of putting you off wooden canoes.

If it is epoxy resin you might just as well give the boat to Andre.

Thats what I was thinking. For the money this fellow is looking for, (400 bux), I know I can do better, and find an unmolested original boat. I was hoping for something a bit older as well.
Thank you for your advice...

Another possible problem with this particular boat is that it is a "war era canoe", which means that it was built during the time canoe builders couldn't get brass, copper, and cane. (Ever seen the 1943 American penny?) I personally like the war era Old Towns because they're historically significant, but some require replacement of a lot of tacks.

Way I look at it, restoring a canoe is a skill you want to acquire. Stripping fiberglass off a canoe is NOT a skill I want to end up with. It’s a detour.

Alternatively (Heresy alert!) if it's in reasonable state, tidy it up, give it a coat of green paint, advertise it in the spring as "Fiberglassed"; fund the next one on the profit ;-)

(I did warn you it was heresy!)

Peter

I successfully removed fiberglass from two 1957 Old Towns that were covered with it for over twenty-five years. I bought a heat gun in anticipation and used it on only one or two places. The glass peeled easily and, for the most part, had separated from the planking. Take a closer look at the boat and for $400 I'd give it a shot.
Pathologist

Back