Cost for recanvasing Old Town

Boatnut

Avid sea kayaker, canoe paddler and sailor
I am looking at restoration options for my 1943 Old Town 18' wood and canvas canoe, i.e. next winter's garage project or a professional repair. The wood planking and interior all appear to be in excellent condition so restoration will likely only involve canvas replacement. Again, from a close examination, it does not look like any fiberglass or other repairs were ever attempted.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience in this, what I can expect to spend if I go the professional route with regard to the canvas replacement. If location is a factor, I live in mid-coast Maine. Thanks very much.

Check our Builder and Suppliers directory -- there are a number of well-qualified people in Maine who do this kind of work or who can supply the materials, and who can discuss costs and other issues with you -- either of doing it yourself, or of having it done professionally.

See -- http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/me.php

My favorite quote came from Gill Cramer and was strictly canvasing, not fill and paint, also a few years back so adjust for inflation.
" Three hours, three beers, and $300.00"

Raw cost for canvas & filler is approx $200, plus a double handful of tacks, and another handful of screws. Add time ($) for filling, painting, varnishing. Keel and outwales need removal, cleaning, replacing, varnishing ... which takes some time even if no restoration is needed. Best estimate comes after you get the canvas off and can truly see condition of stems and planking.

Back