Canoe market sucks!!!!!!!

If you mean that canoes aren't selling, or are going for less than expected value, then, yes. It seems that way to me. However, in an attempt to buck that trend, I paid $125.00 for a $25.00 Old Town.

Her husband gave her a hard time for paying $25 at a yard sale. Her beater Van smoked. Her dad has Alzhiemers. Struck a cord: sympathy major.

I hear you about lower prices. Just missed out on a craiglist listing in my neighborhood. Seller claims it is 14ft Chestnut that was slightly damaged in the annual Paddle the Don event here in Toronto. Although not sure if heart-shaped decks were common in later model chestnuts. Maybe someone just slapped on a decal as part of restoration?

Capture.JPG

5K55F25H63Fe3p43Hbc8hf32e927c0f881594.jpg

5I15E65F53k03G93I3c8h0c8552d4188f1eec.jpg

Either way, seemed like a simple repair job and a bargain for $400.00

Yes, that is true Chris but the market has never been really strong so its gone from suc to suck. At one time it may of been su. I'm not sure what is below sucking, but I can remember when I was just hoping that that market would work its way up to the suck level. I still haven't had to get a real job yet so I can't complain.

Rollin

Or am I imagining things again?

You must be imagining things again because I just signed an agreement to sell a canoe, although it was on the market much longer than yours. You probably know that this time of year is not ideal for selling canoes. Patience,

Benson

what's patience?

I don't have much so I can't say for sure. It appears to be one of those theoretical (or mythical) concepts, like a straight line, a fair curve, a perfect finished surface, etc. I suppose that none of us would be able to afford wooden canoes if the prices always went up.

Benson

I got to say I have had a good year selling canoes. 2 new grandlakers and orders for 2 others for next spring. a 70 year old one that's going to CA in a week or so. I have more restoration jobs lined up than I should.
I will say Joining this site has been one of the best investment I have made. I mite have to give up fishing all summer and just work on Canoes NOT

For me, relative to canoes, it's been a good year.
I've parted with 4, 1 that was restored, and bought another project, which still needs to get picked up.

Dan

I sure wish someone had let me know before I went out and bought two of them this summer. Damn!
Now that I know, I'm going to try even harder to resist the urge.

More seriously, there seems to be an increasingly limited following.
and eventually folks that care find what they want/need and become increasingly selective. Some even start to thin out the herd.
We need a new generation of crazies with cash to get bitten by the bug..
I've raised one that has already built, bought and sold.....the rest of you need to do the same;)

Murat, I just purchased the very canoe. The owner delivered it from Toronto to Niagara Falls where my parents (God bless them) smuggled it across the boarder and will haul it to Iowa this fall. It is 14' 8" long tip to tip & 34" wide (canvas to canvas) 12 3/4 deep from top of thwart to the floor & has C 1 0 2 stamped in the stem. The deck does not appear to be crowned. Any Ideas.....??? Also, Thanks Dan...spoke with you Friday....asked how much you charged for questions before noon....

Will post more photos soon. Mark.

Last Friday’s Toronto Star included an article in the Business Section on how kayaks are now outselling canoes in Canada….even declaring on the front page of the paper that the canoe is going the way of the voyageur….or wondering if it was possible to make love in a kayak…, http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1249472--kayaks-overtake-canoe-sales-in-canada.

According to last few lines of article (observations of Langford and Swift) maybe the canoe is going to make a ‘comeback’ in sales….remain the ‘icon’ it is (and rightfully so in my mind)….

Of course anybody who uses a double paddle is just a frustrated canoeist looking for a tandem partner LOL LOL….

Paddles up until later then….single or double LOL LOL….

Last edited:
Back