2012 Assembly at Paul Smiths College

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
Registration is now open for the 2012 Annual Assembly at Paul Smiths. The Assembly Program, Information Sheet and Registration Form are available for download on the WCHA Web site at http://www.wcha.org/annual-assembly/

These forms will also be included with the April issue of Wooden Canoe.

Register early to ensure your choice of housing! (Registration deadline is June 6).

Hope to see you there!

The program is plump ripe to burstin', but would we could still fit in a few more Construction activities if anyone is interested in offering those. Several of the "big projects" shown in the DRAFT program aren't confirmed.

We have just gotten word that, unlike years previous, Paul Smiths College will allow swimming at the beach next to LMS and Lakeside dorms. Good news for kids of all ages!

Paul Smith's has a campground... look in the registration materials. And you can paddle over to the Assembly site... oh darn...

Rollins Pond and Fishcreek are side by side and not that far away. Rollins is a great place to canoe. Nice and quiet but you would be hard pressed to find a waterfront site this late, but you never know. Fishcreek is more crowded and caters to the jet ski, motor boat crowd. We do a week at Rollins pond every summer.

Buck Pond State Campground is the closest one to the College, I'm thinking about 8 miles. It's a nice campground on a decent size lake. The Paul Smith's Alumni Campground has only a few sites and you can't drive right up to your site. They are primitive sites. Last year showering at the Gym was a pain because the building was never open late enough. Maybe this year will be different. Last year I got in trouble when I took a shower in one of the dorms that was not open to WCHA, the gym being closed. I figured as a PSC alumni I could get away with it but the dorm RA kicked me out. Oops.

Jim C.

I too will be looking for someplace to camp. Last year I drove into the PS primitive campground, where there were 6-8 WCHA'ers camped in tents, but also a greyhound-bus sized camper including generator. In this years instructions there is a line 'No self-contained campers'. Mmmm...wonder if there is a connection? Since I will be in a pickup truck with a slide-in, that probably includes me. Tom McCloud

Back