1950s OTCA carrying capacity?

ReedLeb

Too many canoes
I have an early 1950's Old Town 16' OTCA and I'm wondering if folks know or have experience with the recommended weight capacity. Obviously to be adjusted to conditions. Thanks, Reed

The rated carrying capacity was first listed in the 1974 catalog at four persons or 624 pounds for this canoe as shown in the link below. The 16 foot long Otca model from 1956 and before was listed at 34 ½ inches wide. The ones from 1957 and after were 36 inches wide. The maximum capacity of the older version of the Otca will be lower than the later one.

Benson

“Suggested”. Load it up and see how much freeboard you have. Just my opinion, don’t take catalog stats verbatim. They are a starting point?

“Suggested”. Load it up and see how much freeboard you have. Just my opinion, don’t take catalog stats verbatim. They are a starting point?

I agree. Manufacturers' capacity and waterline specs aren't all that accurate, in my opinion. I have my own preferences as to how much freeboard I want in a canoe for the trips I do, and I would likely want more freeboard in a tumblehomed canoe. Loading the canoe with a known weight load is the best way to find out for certain.

Thanks Chris and Glenn for the advice. As in many fields, design values seldom hold up in the real world. I figure this canoe, when redone, will be for day paddles, or perhaps an overnight. Bigger canoe for longer trips or rougher conditions. My 17' Morris (when repaired) would fit the bill much better for longer excursions.

don’t take catalog stats verbatim

This catalog also stated in bold print, "Some regulating agencies have established formulas that limit the number of persons and/or total loading capacities of canoes. Old Town believes that a combination of canoeist's experience, type of canoe, and water-weather conditions, rather than arbitrary formulas, is the best guide in such matters."

Benson

Last edited:
Back