1931 Kennebec Kineo Special

rangerkevin

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hi there,

In December purchased the canoe that was in this thread:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?8501-Kennebec-Kineo-4018

I have a couple of questions for the group as I start the restoration. I removed all the wood trim pieces including the covers on the decks and the 1/2 round molding under the gunwhales. I know the top trim pieces stay natural wood, but do the 1/2 round pieces stay natural, or do they get painted the color of the canoe? Is there a specific stain color I should use?

I've removed the canvas as well, and the planking looks really good. I need to give a little attention to the stems as there is a little rot at the tips, so I hope to scarf in some new tips. As far as the rest of the stems, there is a little rot, but not too bad. Would it be feasable to use Git Rot mixed with a little sawdust to stabilize them? Will the new tacks go into that and hold when I re-canvas?

Most of the original decal is still there, but are there any sources for new decals if I can't save it?

The gunwhales seem to be nailed on as well. Was this something that Kennebec did? Are they easy to remove and put back on? They are in really great shape and I will definately be able to use them again.

Just a couple of cant ribs to replace as well. The rest of the ribs appear to be solid. None are broken. Getting close to stripping now and looking into options as far as strippers are concerned. Anybody have better luck using a specific product over another? I used the Klean-Strip products last time and there were a bit harsh for my taste. I'll use again if there are no better options, but hoping to avoid.

Thank you in advance in picking your collective brains. I hope to have this done and ready to float by the time assembly rolls around.

Kevin

Last edited:
Rails on these are nailed. It's one of the things I did not like about the one I owned. The nails tend to "creep" out.
I suppose you could use ring nails? Maybe others can comment on that.
For strippers, the nastier the better....
The environmentally safe ones don't get the job done.

My rails are tight and solidly on now. I'm afraid that if I take them off, that I won't get that same "secure" feeling. Would it even be possible to canvas it without taking them off? The molding strips under the rails would cover any staples.

Kevin,
It's impossible to do a proper canvas job without removing the outwales. Because they are nailed on rather than screwed on like most other builders they will be a PIA to get off. I have a Kineo Special also, unrestored. Claverack is not that far from me so if you want to come see what I have done on several canoes you are more than welcome. Send me a private message so we can hook up. Well maybe 'meet up', hook up suggests something else not intended :)

Jim C.

Kevin-- Just a reminder to document your restoration with lots of pictures and don't be timid about posting them here. It's a great way to encourage others who might be drifting through these waters... as well as giving those of us who are always treading water here a chance to cheer you on!

Also... if there's a professional furniture stripping service near you, it's often cheaper than investing in gallon after gallon of brain-melting goo.

Kathy

I knew the answer to the canvasing with the rails on before I asked, but was hoping for some strange mystical reason someone would say "that would be great!" ;) You know the old addage, let sleeping dogs lie? I am concerned that when I get the rails off that when I put them back on they will never be as tight and secure as what I have now. There is something satisfying about screws holding something securely on. Jim, I'll shoot you off a message and get in touch with you. If nothing else it would be fun to see someone elses "children". ;) I'm up to 4 wooden boats now. When does it stop? ;)

By the way, does anyone have any photos of a restored Kineo Special (or other Kennebec) that they may share so I can get an idea of what this thing may look like when it is done, and also serve as a little motivation?

http://forums.wcha.org/forumdisplay.php?32-Canoe-Photo-Index
Hi Kevin.
Here is a link to the photo index forum that has some photos of my Kennebec. The outwale was held on with finish nails so when I put them back on I used Stainless steel finish head screws, square drive and already colored brown to match the mahogany. You think they were on securely before, the screws do a much better job and the head is hardly any bigger than a finish nail. Good luck. How about some photos.

Thanks Craig! Beautiful boat. Nice article as well in this months issue. Where did you get those screws you mentioned? They sound like they would be perfect. So here are some photos of the old girl.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 393
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 369
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 364
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 358
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 369
And a few more. I hope to get the stems fixed rails off shortly. Then the nasty stripping!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 315
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 326
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 349
Thanks for that website Craig. I took advantage of the 70 degree weather today in NY to begin stripping. In about 3 hours I had half the boat stripped and that was about all my back could muster. Very excited to have that much done though already. Heavy winds made the process interesting as the bow of the canoe kept sliding away from me under the force of the wind.

It is much lighter now that the half I have not stripped. Is there a certain color to stain it, or should I even stain it?

The interior of mine was stained to match the mahogany trim and after I stripped and sanded it I had to restain it to get the color even again. That being said I would never stain one that had not been stained originally. Stain accentuates any sanding imperfections of which there will be plenty on the interior of a canoe. Just refinish and let it darken with age. Just one opinion. Craig.

Well the past week has been busy. I finished stripping the interior and prepped everything for a long day today. Rails came off (with sawsall!) with no problems except it is going to be difficult to work around the old fasterners. I'm going to try to remove but not holding my breath. They had every rib nailed. Yikes. I will probably do every other when I replace. Since I finished stripping yesterday, I sanded the interior today with a 320 grit foam sanding block. Put 3 cant / half ribs in. I have never worked with rib replacement before and without the help of a steamer, I soaked them in hot water for a while to coax them. 1 thwart removed, stripped / sanded and then replaced. Replaced the planking around the stems as well, then vacuumed the interior out and hit it with a tack cloth. Got it up on horses upside down for a quick light sanding and a dose of boiled linseed oil in the next day or so. I've seen 1/2 linseed 1/2 turpentine and also 3/4 linseed 1/4 turpentine. Which is it? Or does it even matter? Hope to get the vanish on the interior with a week and a half as my parents are coming up from NC and a second pair of hands canvassing will be helpful. Good chance if I can get it canvassed before April rolls around that you just may see her at the assmbly. That is my self imposed deadline. Fingers crossed.

BTW - does anyone make slide decals for Kennebec? The decal on my bow deck is spotty.

does anyone make slide decals for Kennebec? The decal on my bow deck is spotty.

I don't know of anyone who has recreated a water slide decal reproduction for a Kennebec canoe. Please reply here if you find one or want to take that on yourself.

Benson

So I have finished all the interior work with 4 coats of spar varnish. 3 thwarts back in and seats ready for caning. I hope to canvas on Thursday (hoping on good weather). I am looking into the paint now. I know that Kennebec carried red and green in stock and that the Kineo Special would most likely have just the basics. Knowing that I paid carefull attention to any color I might have seen on the old canvas when I removed it. I found nothing. With that being said I noticed that the canoes in the ledger on either end of mine were green and that I have a red canoe already, I plan to paint this green.

Now the Kennebec brochure calls for "medium green". What brand would have a color that would closely match this? Kirbys, Pettit, Epiphanes?

I don't know of any definitive source for information about Kennebec's greens either. You have already attempted the paint archeology approach. My usual advice is situations like this is to paint it with a shade of green that you like since no one will probably ever know exactly what it really looked like originally. Good luck with the rest of your restoration,

Benson

Well it has been a busy couple of days which saw the boat canvassed and filled. Now we wait for it to cure. That will give me a chance to get the rails prepperd as well as the keel and other trim work. I have taken advantage of the warm spring here in the northeast to push forward on this project. A question I have is I have a little bump that try as I may I could not get out. It will be covered by the keep as it is right at the end of the stem where the two sides came together. Will this present me with a huge problem? I think I can get the keel on it without pushing that bulge down the sides.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 306
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg