1913 OT Charles River 17 Restoration Questions

chipfitzgerald

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Restoration work is progressing nicely but at a snails pace on my 1913 OT Charles River 17 due to career and family distractions. I have a few questions for the forum:

1. Does anyone know the color formula for the dark red paint used by OT in 1913 or during that time period?

2. 90% of the ribs are broken and must be replaced. Everything I read discusses tapering the ribs. However, the ribs on my OT CR 17 are not tapered. I'm leaning towards not tapering but curious as to benefits of tapering. Any thoughts?

3. The original planking was red cedar and is very brittle - dangerously brittle. What is a suitable replacement and why, red or white cedar?

4. Does anyone know of any Michigan sources for cedar planking?

5. The original planks where attached with copper tacks. What are the pros and cons of using copper vs. brass tacks?

Chip

All good questions. I inserted some comments in bold blue. It sounds like this rascal needs a lot of work!

Restoration work is progressing nicely but at a snails pace on my 1913 OT Charles River 17 due to career and family distractions. I have a few questions for the forum:

1. Does anyone know the color formula for the dark red paint used by OT in 1913 or during that time period?
Check out this older thread. It may provide insight into the challenge of color matching. http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?7345
If you have a sample of the old canvas or if you send the color sample you like to George Kirby, he can match it for you. That said, most of us tend to pick a color we like and not worry too much about trying to duplicate the original paint except possibly in a rare boat that merits that detail.

2. 90% of the ribs are broken and must be replaced. Everything I read discusses tapering the ribs. However, the ribs on my OT CR 17 are not tapered. I'm leaning towards not tapering but curious as to benefits of tapering. Any thoughts?
I have canoes made both ways. Aesthetically I prefer the tapered ribs and I presume a boat with tapered ribs might be a bit lighter but if they were un-tapered, that's what you should replace them with. The benefit is you won't be able to install them with the taper the wrong way! 90%....is it worth the effort?

3. The original planking was red cedar and is very brittle - dangerously brittle. What is a suitable replacement and why, red or white cedar?
Yes it is brittle but it's very pretty! Perhaps one of our historians can provide insight into why...most others built in that era were built using white cedar. Red might be a bit lighter and it was less knotty. That said, I would not replace red with white or visa versa. It would not look right.

4. Does anyone know of any Michigan sources for cedar planking?
Check the Forums Builder Guide....or perhaps someone from the area will provide guidance. Some of the more senior (in terms of experience) live out that way and should be able to help you.

5. The original planks where attached with copper tacks. What are the pros and cons of using copper vs. brass tacks?
Copper peens over more easily than brass but you may not notice the difference. I always use copper in boats that were built with copper and brass for newer boats or new build. Brass is more available and not quite as pricey...taste is about the same as far as I can tell.

Chip

Probably not an issue for a canoe in Michigan, but copper performs better than brass in salt water, where brass corrodes by losing its zinc.

Use of Western Red Cedar was dictated by demand of finished product. There simply was not enough clear Northern White Cedar available in longer lengths so OT started using the Western Red. Clear Western Red was readily available in the lengths required. The same with use of Sitka Spruce after WWI. The demand for long lengths of clear Spruce during WWI created a demand for the western Sitka. The eastern Spruces, White, Red and Black do not provide the lengths of clear wood that can be found in Sitka. Clear means free of knots. Most of us resaw our own planking from Red Cedar stock purchased at a local box store like Menards, Lowes etc. I do a lot of resawing and thicknessing for a variety of activities. White Cedar in Michigan used to be easily obtained from a few mills around Mio, MI. But now most people seem to be going up to the UP. I have some Red Cedar planking and some White Cedar rib stock.

I just picked up a lovely Morris from Marine City that had been smashed into by an overly inebriated individual going 80 in a 15. he drove through the boathouse. I got some extraordinary wrc from Nelson Wood Products here in Lapeer, an hour away from you. I think he can still order it. I've got northern white and it doesn't match red well. Charles River canoes were untapered if I am correct.

Back