Who made this Canoe?

Nesto

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all
I'm a new member.
Could anyone help me identify this canoe and the amount of work required to restore it?
The gunwale seems to be rotted away at the mid sections,
as well at some of the rib tops and the top forward stem.
Thanks
Nesto

Attachments

• Clip_12.jpg
    Clip_12.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 459
Peterborough or chestnut, could be a prospector with the slat seats, need width and depth measurements

Further to the above canoe. It is for sale in Vancouver for $500. It has 2 cracked ribs, just at the major bend and 4 or 6 cracked planks, 2 at the chine where a chunk has been punched out and 2 above and 2 below them. The last 2 being full length. As well, the stem tops are rotted out along with the gunwales there and also along the gunwale amidship. I would suppose those are the standard places where the canoe would sit upside down on the ground, resting on one side.
It does seem to be a Prospector although there are no identifying decals or serial numbers. It is approximately 35 1/2" wide with some tumblehome with about 34" width at the top. Doesn't seem to have bottomed out as it is 14" deep to the top of the thwart.
I think I could manage the stems, gunwale and plank replacements but the ribs replacement would be a bit too much I think. Would it be possible to just stiffen the ribs by sistering an inside knee to them?
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks
Nesto

Last edited:
Bad inwales, outwales, rib tips, ribs, decks, and stems.... Maybe fiberglassed?
At $500 I would not walk away from this canoe..... I would run!

Ha, well rib tips are good and so are the decks but too much of a project for me,
even though he has dropped the price down to $250.

There is only a fibreglass patch on the canvas, about 8 x 8. It's not where the structural damage is, so I imagine it must have been a rip in the canvas?
After watching a few of Rod's videos, I'm feeling confident I can take this on.
As someone who somewhat restored a 1946 60' wooden Seiner/Packer before handing it off to someone with much deeper pockets,
I pretty sure this will be more manageable!

It is a 3rd. grade circa 1970's Chestnut. These were mainly sold through the Hudson Bay Co. in Canda although I have seen a few from Eatons. It seems the 16' models were built on older Pal or Prospector forms. Usually, but not always had no makers identity on them. All had 1.5" ribs. They either had slat seats or poor grade babiche seats which were usually fastened directly to the inwales. Many had only one basic center thwart fastened by two rather than four 3/16" bolts. When restored they are much lighter than the dealer canoes making them desireable to us older folk. Hope this helps. I would buy it as they don't come up often.

Well took the plunge and bought her, seller upped his price to $275, claimed he paid $500 in Nanaimo last year.
Here are some dimensions;
15' 10" L, 34" W @ mid thwart, 35 1/2" W 2 planks down, 14 1/2" D @ rib top, 15" D @ plank top to bottom of board placed across gunwales.
Ribs 2 1/4" W x 3/8" thick, spaced 2 1/4" to 2 3/8" apart, tapering to 1 1/2" at tips. All tips appear to be sound, no rot.
Stern seat hanging 2" to 2 3/4" below inwales, fwd seat 1 7/8" to 2" below, both 7 slats.
Mid thwart attached with 4 steel carriage bolts and other with just 2.
Also could make out most of a stamped serial # on fwd stem; 9_72(?) 1452(definitely)
4 or 5 cracked planks with 1 having a hole punched in and 2 cracked ribs at the chine on opposite side of cracked planks.
Rotted outwale, ends of inwales rotted and stem tops, though it doesn't appear to extend to far down.

Attachments

• IMG_0759a.jpg
    IMG_0759a.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0760a.jpg
    IMG_0760a.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0761a.jpg
    IMG_0761a.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
The 1452 portion of the serial number tells us your canoe is a Peterborough Canoe Company River Model (Prospector model). Your dimensions correspond. With the 4+4 serial number, it was built some time after 1940.

16' Prospector is a heck of a good boat.

Oh, and welcome to the wild world of CaPeterNuts.

Dan

Thanks for Welcome and that information Dan. :)
If I am understanding the info from your website properly, this canoe would have been produced from 1941 to 1956?
Much older than I thought!
Also wanted to add that the keel extends almost 14', is 7/8" tall, 7/8" wide at base tapering to 5/8" with a steel guard.
Not flat like the ones you see on Chestnuts.

Attachments

• IMG_0764a.jpg
    IMG_0764a.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Glad you were able to get a reduced price! To me it just wasn't a $500 canoe... It has all of the typical vintage canoe issues, so when you have completed this restoration, you will be well on your way to the next and many more....if you catch the disease.
Cool to find out that it is a River model! I have one..and am on the fence about restoring or selling it.

Canadian historians, Dan Miller, others.... Correct me if I have misinterpreted the whole Prospector hull thing.
The "Prospector" type canoes all came from the same molds at Chestnut. The canoes that Chestnut sold off of the molds got a Chestnut decal and were called Prospector models. The canoes that Peterborough sold off of those molds got a Peterborough decal and were sold as River models. The same hulls were also sold with Canadian Canoe Co. decals as well.... Is this true??

Here's an enhanced photo (contrast, exposure etc.) of the serial# with a little chalk rubbed into the stamps; 9872 1452

Attachments

• Serial #.jpg
    Serial #.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 345
Back