While you were at assembly--

We're not at assembly yet, Dave... now you've gone and let the cat out of the bag...! (Don't worry about me, I caught my limit of Rushton's this week)

Cheers,
Dan

Here is a bit more now that I am awake: it is most likely an OI Grade Indian Girl made sometime after 1907. I base this on the fact that open gunwale Indian Girls are not offered in the 1907 and earlier catalogs. Unfortunately, the IG was in a separate 1908 flyer and not shown in the main catalog (we have a copy of the latter), and I have a huge gap until the circa 1915 (and probably last) catalog issued by Rushton, Inc, where it is shown.

So, late model IG, but a Rushton nonetheless...

Now if you want a really neat Rushton, there is a 12' lapstrake on ebay currently as well...

yep

and I got to wonder about the 11" depth too. But if the bidding is not too high and I get lucky I don't mind driving that far. I've enough practice on canoes now that i think I can manage a restoration. I would enjoy the challenge of a correct restoration. If it's been cut down I can re-tip it.

looking at the rails and have a question.

Is it possible this had a rail cap at one point? Rushton made both styles?

I guess this raises lots of questions for the future.
Dan, thanks for your expertise. I'll have to build up my library.

I saw the other one too. Ross Bros. as I recall.
they offer good stuff.

Hello from the road, Dave!

Denis and I are staying at a hotel in Peterborough that has a computer for guests to use. The car is currently parked a few yards from one with a couple cool canoes on top... same car with canoes we noticed when pulling into the museum parking lot yesterday. Denis and I simultaneously said, "looks like Michael Grace is here, too." Which is the case.

Anyway, Michael mentioned this Indian Girl... so, here I am at uhhh looks like 4:50 AM checking out the board, with the notion of looking at eBay too.

We already have an IG, so I'd only be "watching" anyway. Ours is a late-model and I recall being told the IGs that have "Rushton" stamped on everything are later boats. Ours even says "Indian Girl" on the center thwart, as well as stem bands and I can't recall what else.

Good luck. If you win the bidding, I know we'll see her looking beautiful one day!

~~Kathy

I wouldn't get worked up about the depth - depending on if they set their rule on top of a rib, and didn't sight across the rails carefully, that could easily account for a difference of 1 inch.

I don't believe this canoe had a rail cap. While Rushton did make several styles of closed gunwales, this one appears right for the OI model, see attachements...

Howard asks:
Does the shape of this canoe look a little distorted to any body else?

It's nearly impossible to tell from photographs (unless there is something obvious like a broken inwale). I don't trust them, and always assume the canoe is much worse than it appears. That way, there are sometimes pleasant surprises....

Attachments

• page-10.gif
    page-10.gif
    186.7 KB · Views: 367
  • page-14.gif
    page-14.gif
    210 KB · Views: 351
Back