ultimate steam chamber

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
So the other day I decided I didn't want to fire up my maple syrup evaporator that I use to steam a bunch of ribs. I only had to bend a couple of pieces so I decided to make a small steamer like I have seen others have. I used a piece of 4" PVC and it worked fine other than having to be supported because it gets soft and gets pretty hot to touch. So afterward I was fantasizing that it would be nice to find a stainless steel box and insulate it and maybe put a sheet metal cover over it all. Then I remembered the old Metalbestos stovepipe I'd had laying about for 15 years. Perfect, Stainless inside and outside and insulated. It is rigid and doesn't get so hot that you can't leave your hand on the outside. Besides that it just looks cool, like a giant muffler. I wouldn't want to pay for new but a little oven cleaner and wire brush shined up the inside and I love finding a use for all the junk I have been hanging on to.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0837.jpg
    DSC_0837.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSC_0863.jpg
    DSC_0863.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • DSC_0864.jpg
    DSC_0864.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • DSC_0059.jpg
    DSC_0059.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 1,049
Looks kool! Yeah, the floppy pvc is no fun, hence the rad hose on mine like i see you used. Might want to put your burner outside soon, dont want that 'vette all sweated up from burning propane inside..

Makes me want to tear down the stovepipe in my work shop. I'll just have to deal with my old eagle gas can and plywood box. (Which works fine by the way) Oh well......... Mike

Really nice rig Craig. How are you holding the ends on? I came across a video by Lou Sauzedde who used a plastic bag on gunwales which I may take a stab at....

Last edited:
Hi Hummy:

I really like the plastic bag technique. I know Greg Nolan has been using it too.

The benefits I see are:

1. There is no cooling down of the piece. You can clamp the piece, bag and all, while it is still cooking and hot.

2. You can periodically try the bend to see if the bend will work, all while still hot and in the bag. No guesswork is needed relative to steaming time.

Drawback: lots of steam, hot water in a bag to worry about. Be careful to avoid getting burned.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just took a look at the video by Lou Sauzedde showing his steam bag idea. I feel quite the dummy for not having thought it myself. Wonderful.

Fitz - Grizzle...
I'm want to try the above steaming-in-a-bag technique. What did you use as a bag? I'm thinking of using plastic sheeting that's used for landscaping work. Thinking of cutting up a 18'x18" section & use the wife's sewing machine to make a tube out of it. You folks find a better solution???

Fitz - Grizzle...
I'm want to try the above steaming-in-a-bag technique. What did you use as a bag? I'm thinking of using plastic sheeting that's used for landscaping work. Thinking of cutting up a 18'x18" section & use the wife's sewing machine to make a tube out of it. You folks find a better solution???

Haven't had a chance to try, but I was going to have a go at damp proof course material, probably the same thing as landscaping sheet, and duct tape........

Somewhere I read about food tubing. http://www.uspackagingandwrapping.com/Poly-Tubing-amp-Bags/Polyethylene-Tubing/

Sees a reasonable idea...

Sorry, not sure about U.S. sizes. Is 3mil equal to 3 millimetres? The roll dispensers come in 12" & 24" sizes, so I guess that the rolls do as well. A roll of 3 mil, 12" tubing is $195. Perhaps a group buy?

Or back to the landscaping sheet.........

3mil = 0.003" - the thickness of a Post-it note.
I'm thinking I might try Gorilla tape first instead of sewing. Quicker. Make my wife happy too. Maybe someone can recommend a different tape?

Baggy

I used polyethylene tubing that comes on a roll and is made so that you can make custom size packaging bags. It comes in different widths and mil thickness. I think mine is 3 inch wide and 3 or mil. It is also reusable. It is available on line or at places like Staples. I will try and post a link as an example.

Here is an example. I don't think you need 500 ft.

http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/ite...1enovxrukkxm4bjxi24s7z5mgvzcao-g8eboc3ifw_wcb

Last edited:
Back