Suggestions: Plywood strongback or 2x's?

Kunk35

Future canoe builder
I see there are a couple different ways to build the strongback. Our Canoe is the 17'6" Redbird so I'm wondering what the consensus is as to using plywood to build the strongback box or the T method using 2x material. What are the advantages/disadvantages for each method?

Kory

I don't know if there are any advantages of one over the other. The important thing is to get one that's straight enough.

I took a piece of 3/4" CDX, ripped it down to two strips the right width, then glued them together, so the bow cancelled itself out. It was plenty close enough.

"The important thing is to get one that's straight enough." Paul is right -- the basic point of a strongback is to keep things properly aligned as your boat is built.

With newly-bought solid lumber (especially if obtained from a big box store), there is always the possibility that the wood will warp, bow, or twist over time, putting your T-shaped strongback out of line. There is less likelihood of this happening if you use lumber that you have had on hand for at least several months and which has stayed flat and true during that time.

I have some 2x framing lumber in my attic that generally seemed quite good when delivered -- but several months later, only a few boards stayed completely true. Most had at least a bit of twist or bowing -- not a real problem for framing purposes -- and a few looked more like egg noodles than framing stock. I put the few really good boards aside for tasks where I want something that will stay flat and true, and those boards have stayed true for a couple of years now. I also put the noodley boards aside, and made another trip to the lumber yard to get a few more boards to finish the wall framing project, where minor twist or bow was acceptable.

With plywood or other sheet material, a box girder that is true and square box can be readily made if you take the minimal care needed to rip it into pieces with parallel edges. By registering the true edges against each other, you should be able to easily build a box frame for your strongback that will remain flat and true.

However, It is not always easy to cut sheet goods accurately, especially in a shop (like mine) that is cramped for space. Having the sheet goods cut to at least rough dimensions by the lumber yard frame saw can make this task easier. But especially in big box stores, the folks who make those cuts often don’t get the dimensions just right -- although the saw itself generally produces good, straight, parallel cuts.

I have access to I-joists and am familiar with them. I'm thinking about using that with a 2x12 as the T-shape. I'm in the same boat as you as far as my "shop" goes. Not nearly enough room to negotiate sheet goods very easily. I'm thinking the I-joist might work pretty well.

Sounds to me like that could work fine. The I-joist should keep the 2X flat, and a center line (marked with a string or chalk line) would give you a straight center reference even if the 2x were a bit untrue.

I always used 6"x6" plywood box beams. I used the same beams for several boats, with extra sections that could be bolted on for more length when needed. I was just never convinced that the lumber versions were stable enough.

Back