Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!
Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by instructor74, Aug 1, 2016.
nice long glue joint.
So I had some luck finding some beautiful African mahogany stock at a very reasonable cost. So I have gotten to work making a few jigs to steam bend some of it to repair the decks. I was glad I got an extra board just incase i needed some extra. After taking and repairing the front seat I pulled the rear out and was sad to find the original was gone and someone had made a replacement out of oak and done a sub par job of it. Even after re-glueing it just didn't look good.so a new one was made out of the mahogany.
The old oak seat
New mahogany made just a little bit wider and I used the front seat caining holes to mark and drill all the holes to keep with the slightly random spacing of the original seat.the front seat stripped re- glued and sealed
. Random photos of the stern decks repair. I am quite pleased with how it turned out.
it might be hard to see but there is a slight taper to the peace that slopes the bottom of the upper deck away from the inside of the canoe. All the rusted screws were replaced with solid brass.
Separate names with a comma.