Stem band screws!

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
......OK, this is a new one on me! I bought a bunch of #4 brass screws for the stem band on that Ogilvy and they are too thick... They look like they should be # 2or 3's* The ones that came out were flat head and when compared to the #4's both the shaft* and the head of the screws are too big for the countersunk slot...Anyone have an idea where I can get those "skinnier" dome headed screws? Also I feel they should be a little longer than the ones that came out so they could go into new meat!...Its that or re-drill and counter sink each screw hole in the stem band.Thanks in advance,

Blue Viking

I was on the Old Town Canoe site and couldnt find any stem band screws...Wonder if Benson Gray knows if they have them or a good source to get them....Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Every chestnut stem band that I've worked on was fitted with #4 flathead screws. A small amount of re-drilling with a pilot/countersink bit will open up the hole enough to accept the #4. I'd do that if you can't find smaller screws. Smaller than #4s would be very weak, wouldn't they?

Is it possible that yours were put on with small nails or have paint in the holes?

Blue Viking said:
I was on the Old Town Canoe site and couldnt find any stem band screws...Wonder if Benson Gray knows if they have them or a good source to get them....Thanks

I did not see any stem band screws listed at http://oldtown.wcha.org/parts.html so Dan's reference to Jamestown Distributors or Doug's re-drilling suggestion may be better alternatives.

Benson

Thanks to all...........educated opinions are soooo much better than my uneducated guesses!:D Think I will just open the holes a little and use the #4 flat heads...

brass screws

Standard Fastenings sells me #3 and #4 screws in 1/2 to 1". I can get them for you if you would like.
Al Bratton

Thanks for the offer....I will be going to Millinocket next week and will go by way of Atkinson and stop in and see Rollin...He has them....I appreciate the offer..........Oh...and if you and anyone else is interested in that Miller canoe that FH Bowley posted I would be glad to take a look at it...I believe that he also has a Morris and a Peterborough in his barn. I can find his minimum price....wish I could afford to get some more but right now I am concerned about storing mine:eek: for another big snowy winter here

Back