Steam in a bag?

Wrothgar

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I was wondering if there's a way to make your own bag to steam gunwales with. My steamer box is 5' long.. I have a roll of vapor barrier plastic I was thinking I could make into a bag that could be as long as needed...I would just have to find a way to glue the bag. Contact cement maybe?

I suspect glue will be ineffective. Craig Johnson used to have plastic tubing for this purpose. But if you really want to try it with plastic sheet, I'd overlap the edges like a rolled seam, and use a lot of staples. TM..

I had some thin plastic I got from the hardware store, cut long strip from it maybe an 18" wide, and folded it into a tube using Gorilla duct tape + staples to hold it together.

Well, of all the topics in woodworking, it sure seems that bending wood has the most variety of techniques and suggestions! Seems to me like experience is the best way to learn.

I've use 2 inch corrugated black plastic drain pipe that you can buy at Lowes/etc. for a steam tube. I had some sitting around left over from a home repair and tried it more or less on a lark. It works well for steaming rails and since it's flexible I was able to use it re-steam some outside stems that didn't have the shape I needed. Don't use your shopvac hose...it won't take the heat.:oops:

I just tried a 5 foot abs pipe....worked great..but likely because of the steamer I found at good will. Just thought a bag would do a longer piece.

Walmart sells rolls of plastic which are intended to be used in the vacuum seal machines. The one I buy is 8" wide by 20' long, two rolls to a box for about $15 Canadian. I cut them to the length I need, then with two flat pieces of wood and a small clamp seal one end. I run my steam hose in the other end stuff a rag in, and have the clamped end slightly raised to ensure the whole bag gets hot. They can be re-used multiple times. Here is a picture of one in action. Cheap and works great for steaming and clamping in place.

Attachments

• DSCN2759.JPG
    DSCN2759.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 259
That's a good idea! I'm surprised the bags don't melt- I melted one once washing it out to reuse it.

When I did mine I used poly bags that come in a roll. We have a picture framing shop and the material is often shipped in about ten-foot lengths in these long slim bags, various widths from about 1 1/4" (flattened) to 3 - 4" wide. I had to join two pieces in the middle, and seal a few holes, then hooked up a steamer to it. If you have a picture framer nearby see if they will give you a few. It worked pretty well. Bruce W.

If you want something rugged and functional, I would try making it out of tincloth. I took some leftover canvas from my covering and made a paddle sock using a traditional tincloth recipe.

cconsider a camper's sewer hose. You can do an entire inwale. You cam do outwales right on the boat and accordian the hose back as you work toward the end

cconsider a camper's sewer hose. You can do an entire inwale. You cam do outwales right on the boat and accordian the hose back as you work toward the end
Presumably you clean it first?:confused:
That's actually a good idea...I have a section that has never been used. I might try that next time.. the corrugated black plastic drain pipe I use does not collapse down for storage.

Rod: good idea....they don't seem to do that out here in Ontario. Maybe in BC it rains so much they have to!

I like Gary's suggestion of using the plastic designed for food packaging (we use it for packaging salmon we've smoked). It's long enough without having to splice it and won't have any pre-existing holes, and I think it might be heavier weight, too, than the "lay-flat" poly tubing I referred to earlier.

Back