Seeking info from Redbird owners

John Little

I'm interested in hearing the views of Redbird owners about this design. Good?Bad? Mediocre? Any personal experiences would be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

I had one

I obtained it unfinished and I finished it. It had been glued up and one layer of 'glass was on the exterior when I got it. It is in my opinion a very beautiful canoe. I found it to be very fast but a bit tippy. Experienced paddles would like it for high speed cruising. I am assuming the station molds were not altered in the canoe I got and finished. Hopefully others will chime in with their perspectives as well.

Hi

wELL, after paddling around i decided to sell it. It was pretty tender. And I'm more of a wood canvas kinda guy. I got $700 on ebay, as I recall. I think it would have been terrific as a recreational racer.

I don't like the Redbird at all. If one was offered to me for free I would politely decline, especially as I have that liberty.

Here is my main complaint. The paddlers positions, where there is the highest concentration of mass, is extremely low volume underwater coupled with a very low sheer line. With this combination, the canoe cannot raise the mass of the paddler over the wave crest, nor is it deep enough to keep the water from coming in over the top.

If you're set on building it, fix the sheer line at the paddlers position. And pay attention to where you position those seats.

I agree

having reviewed Doug's post I would have to agree. the thing that makes this canoe fast also makes it wet.

Please let us know what you decide to build--- and remember: we love pictures. One picture we really like is the one titled "launching"!

Kathy

Back