Seat canning

griffing

Curious about Wooden Canoes
What is the best way to redo the seats? Iam going to have to rebuild the frames ,so do I drill holes or cut in for splines. Grover Griffin

I prefer traditional cane-drilled holes. Usually canoe seats are 3/4"oc done in the basic 7-step pattern.Caned seats with spline take a "set" and remain in a sagged position, sometimes forever.

I am just making new frames and, reviewing Jerry Stelmok's "Building the Maine Guide Canoe", I noticed that he gives rule of thumb dimensions for both types of seats: 7/8" molded by 1-3/8" sided for splined seats and add 1/8" to the thickness and 1/4" to the width if the frames are drilled. After reading a book on the repair of hand caned seats I am more sensitive to the loss of strength caused by that row of holes. That said, you will have to decide which style is more appropriate. I am planning to hand cane mine (with holes). I did a set of splined seats years ago; don't remember a lot about the process, but looking at it now in the book, it seems to me that there is a surprising amount of fussy work involved, considering that the caning work is done by the factory. Doesn't seem all that much faster to me and less satisfying. I'll let you know what I think after my fingers are raw and my eyes give out!

I prefer the look of traditionally-caned seats... and placing holes in the seat frames will allow you to choose traditional seven-step, or "canoe weave" or spider-web or perhaps another caning-design you fancy. The seat will be easier to re-do when the time comes... and, as Joe said, there is a sense of satisfaction that comes from weaving the seat yourself.

Kathy

Don't worry about getting the first passes overly tight or you'll never get the weaving strands through. Everything tightens up as you add strands and the cane dries. "Barely snug" on the straight passes.

I prefer the look of traditionally-caned seats... and placing holes in the seat frames will allow you to choose traditional seven-step, or "canoe weave" or spider-web or perhaps another caning-design you fancy. The seat will be easier to re-do when the time comes... and, as Joe said, there is a sense of satisfaction that comes from weaving the seat yourself.

Kathy

Kathy,

I was about to ask you if you had some pictures of the different weaves; no luck on the web or my present caning book. Then I saw a 3-year-old thread on caning patterns with a post and pictures from you. That canoe weave is interesting; very bold pattern. Makes me think I ought to do an extra set of seats for the Rushton; one with a canoe weave and one 7 step. Talk is cheap when I haven't even done one yet!

Check out the caning pattern thread: http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?2944-Caning-Patterns

I try to duplicate the original seats in shape and cane.. Old Town canoes made after about 1940 had splines so I use splines and sheet cane for those. On early Old Town canoes, I try to duplicate the shape of the seat, drill the holes, and hand cane. I always weave on the 4th step because I don't like the way it looks if it isn't done that way. That's just a personal idiosyncrasy.

Great ,but what type of cain do you use?Somebody said that there is a difference of cain used outside,does anybody know? Grover Griffin owner of Skeezix origan unknown

Hi Grover-- I've never heard of an indoor cane and an outdoor cane. Maybe someone is talking about the cane that's plastic versus real cane. The upper surface of cane is naturally water-repellent and cane will tighten-up when drying. It's a durable product in the natural variety... and the plastic has seemed stretchy to me-- if natural cane loosens, wet it and let it dry.

Bear (did I say "bear"?-- haha) in mind that wicker furniture became popular in the nineteenth century as "outdoor" and porch furniture, and there's a lot of cane used in the creation of wicker furniture.

Kathy

Last edited:
type of cane

The size of the holes and the distance on center (oc) determines the width of cane. Canoe seats are usually 3/4" oc at 1/4"holes. That configuration calls for common or medium cane. Common is wider and best for seats.
The only two cane types I am aware of (other than plastic) is natural and hamburg. Hamburg cane is bleached and is not recommended for seating. Plastic cane in a canoe is like black walls on a Cadillac. UGH

Back