Sawhorse/Sling suggestions please?

wanderlustjake

Beginner Canoeist
Hi All,

After finally finding a canoe, I would like to get to working on it. I was wondering if anyone could please provide a rookie some suggestions/dimensions for sawhorses or sawhorse/slings? I have plastic folding ones but don't trust them, I don't think they're stable enough. It would be great if they could nest or stack as space is at a premium.

Many thanks in advance!

Jason

IMG_7433.jpgTake a look at teh book Canoecraft, by Ted Moores and Merilyn Lohr, page 114. This is a basic cradle for canoe work, many folks have modified theirs for specific purposes. When I built mine, I only attached the "Feet" from the outer surfaces (not the top), so that two screws hold each foot to the frame, and are thus easily removable to flatten it all out for storage. Attached is a picture... I think...

Used carpet works for the slings, but so do used fire hose, and old blue jeans, and old tarps, and...

When I make the next one, it will have legs that can be adjusted for different heights, probably with a series of holes and a carriage bolt/wing nut for easy adjustment.

Simple, foldable and stable enough for most work. Webbing sling across the top and don't forget the rope across the bottom that limits the spread of the bases.

Attachments

• guide2-004a.jpg
    guide2-004a.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,892
  • sawhorse-002.jpg
    sawhorse-002.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,329
I'll post here the information for making racks like the ones Denis made for our canoes in the barn which another member asked me about. Two of these hold one canoe.

Kathy

Attachments

• rack for holding canoe.jpg
    rack for holding canoe.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 885
Multi use horse

I use a similar horse but I have a flat board that sits on top so I can turn the canoe over. the flat board has tabs on it so it won't fall off. I also have a holder for the flat board when not in use. I also have it so I can put an out feed roller in the saw horse as an out feed for my table saw. You can kinda see it from this photo.

Attachments

• 101_1400.JPG
    101_1400.JPG
    461 KB · Views: 1,069
Thanks everyone for your help. A co-worker happened to have a copy of the Canoecraft book, so I copied the sawhorse page and will hopefully be assembling them tomorrow. I noticed after I've already bought the material, everyone seems to have gone with 2" stock rather than 1". I guess I'll give the 1" a go and see how it works.

I just had some 3/4" plywood leftover from making the strongback, that had been laminated together to make the 1&1/2" stock... so I used it. I don't know that 1" would present any problems, but others may know better.

I built the sawhorses today out of the 1" I bought, pleasantly surprised on how rigid the are. Time to get to work! Thanks again everyone for your help.

Jason

Back