"salesman sample" canoe and paddle display

Roger Young

display sample collector
I have been asked by the Canadian Decoy & Outdoor Collectible Association (of which I was formerly Executive Director), to organize a showing of antique 'display model' canoes and sample paddles for their annual fall show being held on Sunday, 30th October, at the Cairn Croft Inn, Lundy's Lane, Niagara Falls, Ontario, beginning at 9:00 a.m. The show is open to the public, and anyone in the area is welcome to attend. There is a modest admission fee to defray rental expenses of the hotel facilities.

So far, I have about a dozen different antique model canoe examples lined up for display from early US and Canadian factories - Old Town, Carleton, White, Kennebec, Wickett, Stephenson, Grew, Rice Lake, Peterborough, Lakefield. Anyone wishing to bring along a model or loan one for display is welcome to do so. Please contact me.

In past, CDOCA has had nearly 300 members spread across the US and Canada; members come from all over, reaching as far as the east and west coasts. The show is covered by prominent US and Canadian collecting magazines. There are much more than decoys on display; club members pride themselves on accentuating the "outdoor collectibles" side of their hobby, featuring examples of rare hunting and fishing items, sporting art, carvings, etc. Each year, there are special educational displays of rare items often not seen outside museums. CDOCA has gained a reputation over the years for putting on some of the finest displays of sporting collectibles ever seen.

Activity begins on Saturday, with an auction at 11:00 a.m. There is lots of socializing and room-to-room sales in the afternoon and evening. Formal displays along with a large 'table show' and sales for collector/dealers take place on Sunday.

The show is being held in Niagara Falls this year to make it especially easy for American visitors to attend. The motel has a special rate for those attending if you wish to stay over night. Further info is available at: www.canadiandecoy.com/ and www.simpsonauctions.com/.

Mark your calendars and come along to a great show. Hope to see you there.

Roger

A reeminder

Just thought I would 'freshen up' this thread and remind everyone of the exhibit of factory 'display model' canoes and 'salesman's sample' paddles made by early US and Canadian canoe manufacturers being held from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm, on Sunday, 30th October, 2011, at the Best Western Cairn Croft Hotel, 6400 Lundy's Lane, Niagara Falls, Ontario. Take the Drummond Road exit off the QEW, go south (up the hill); turn right at the stop light at the top, go west a very short distance; hotel is on your left.

This special exhibit of antique display model canoes and paddles is likely the broadest assemblage of such items ever, save perhaps for the exhibit at the Canadian Canoe Museum, in 2008. This gathering will feature even more factory samples than were available at that time. The exhibit is part of the Canadian Decoy & Outdoor Collectible Association annual fall show. There will be plenty of decoys, hunting and fishing equipment on display and for sale, along with other sporting memorabilia (no cards), and folk art carvings, etc. There is an auction on Saturday morning (29th) at 11:00 am (preview from 9:00 am) - see www.simpsonauctions.com for details. Room-to-room trading takes place Friday evening, and again on Saturday afternoon and evening.

Hope to see you there. For those who can't make it this fall, I hope to be able to bring many of these same pieces to the WCHA 2012 Assembly next summer. These two occasions will likely be the last times these pieces will be available for public display.

Roger Rice Lake canoe 007.jpgjss1.jpgJulia3.jpgPADDLES2.JPGP1120087.jpgWICKETT.jpg

PS: More photos from the actual display have been posted at: http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?8445-photos-of-model-canoe-display&p=45092#post45092

Last edited:
Back