Rolling Bevel on the Stem

RoadRunner

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
All -

Seems I may have made a critical error in shaping the stem at both ends. Referencing the attached photo of Canoecraft pp 117, I failed to shape the stem at points "D" and "C" as suggested in the illustration. Instead, I shaped the stem in the very narrow shape of Section "E", and as a result, when trying to fit the upper planks onto the stem at the higher points, the plank is being twisted to some extent. Not a severe twist, but a twist nonetheless. My questions are:

1. Is some degree of plank twisting ok? If yes, then how much is too much?
2. If the answer to #1 above is no, then how should I go about correcting the stem shaping so that Sections D and C are in the right place?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

20151224_124609.jpg
20151224_130937.jpg

The picture helps a lot.
The stem appears high anyway. I would use a rasp and work it to give more gluing surface, and help it align with the strip. Could you post a side shot. It just appears the inside stem, might be a little high.

You will have to twist the strip some. Use extra clamps. When the glue dries, it should be fine.

Take your time shaping, and test with a strip.

Good luck !

Jim

Ok that helps, thank you Jim.

So, the idea behind the rolling bevel is to provide sufficient surface area for effective adhesion w/ glue, not necessarily to reduce twisting of the plank near the stems, is that right?

Back