Quetico

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
I recently returned from a week in Quetico Provincial Park. Here Is a link to photos of the trip. http://www.flickr.com/photos/71113210@N08/sets/72157631511452561/
Crew was myself, my brother, my daughter, and my stepson. Boats were 15' canoe I built at Pam Wedd's shop with my daughter Miki, and my fathers 1956 OT 16' Guide that was my first restoration project. For 25 years I have dreamed of returning there with my own wooden canoes. I was starting to push the age limit envelope but it was a great trip and next time it might be Kevlar but this time was a dream come true.
Craig

Attachments

• DSCN0287.jpg
    DSCN0287.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 467
7 days, 54 miles, and about 30 portages. Not too tough. Learned the lesson that a long portage can be easier than several short ones because of the loading and unloading.

Went through all your photos on Flickr. What a fantastic looking trip, Craig! Extra special that you did the trip with the boat built with your daughter. Saw that you were using some of your custom-made paddles too. Also saw your windpaddle sails setup for some downwind cruising...nice. Did your 15 footer always have that wide, flat center thwart? My OCD memory doesn't remember that when I saw your canoe at last year's Killbear Rendezvous.

There is NO age limit envelope. I have visited Quetico many times. But my first solo there was at age 60 when I did 11 days and covered some 150 miles. Of course with age I get very picky about portages and no longer boulder hop. Yes I get to be a witch after the fifth portage in a day. I would rather one long one. ( not the Cache Lake from French Lake one that leaves you to your waist in mud)

When you get older and boat weight matters over the portage and your wisdom increases, consider lighter ribs (thinner) and thinner planking outwales and inwales. The wisdom comes into play as in "I don't think its a bright idea to hit that hard or run that"

Great pics!
Who'd a thought of elevated reflector oven baking?
And taking time out to "sychro swim"!! I notice two participants had on their PFDs so they didn't "sink or swim".

Your pictures and the story you tell from the captions were all fantastic, the canoes you built/restored, well they are simply beautiful. What a great opportunity. My own daughter is a real canoe enthusiast and did a 40 day trip this year in the Bisco area and is doing a 50 day next year (any itinerary suggestions are welcome ones). Terry

center thwart

Hi Murat.
No, I had the same yoke thwart that you have but since I had back surgery 20 yeaqrs ago I was leery of carying 85 lbs on my shoulders. What I did was take an old Kelty pack from the 70s, cut off the top section so nothing stuck up above the shoulder straps, dropped the bag all the way down on the pack, and reinforce the top of the bag to catch the center thwart. Then I put my kneeling pad on top. It was still rubbing on the yoke so I pulled it out and put in a scrap thwart for this trip. This put all the weight on my hips and legs which made a huge difference for me. I also added some handles to the bottom of the frame so I could lift up and adjust where the strain was while I walked. Also added a ring to that handle so I could clip the rope to It and go totally hands free. might have to get a patent;) Here are a couple photos that sort of show it. I'll have to take some that show it better. It worked really well.
Craig

Attachments

• DSCN0283.jpg
    DSCN0283.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 442
  • DSCN0284.jpg
    DSCN0284.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 458
Hi Rob. Nobody seems to ever clean out the fire rings, they just add more stones till they are about waist high. Oven worked great.
I'll probably go to the Gifford Pinchot event. If you know anyone coming your way from there I'll send you a package.
Craig

by the way Murat, while we are on the subject. The other canoe was a 16' Ot guide and I didn't decide to take it till the last minute. It had no center thwart so I carved one and put it in so I didn't have to use my clamp on yoke. Then I had to take out the bow thwart so I could fit the pack in behind the bow seat. Then I saw your Aug. 9th. post about the Temagami style carrying bar. I was already concerned about all that weight one one bolt hole and I also didnt want to tear up the center thwart on the carrying pack so I modified your design to keep a lower profile. I used white cedar for lightness and 1/4" aluminum ends for strength and came up with a nice alternative. It worked great. Don't know if you can zoom in on the photo enough to see it. It is on the left.

Attachments

• P9010058.jpg
    P9010058.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 447
Back