Questions on cedar strip canoes

jjcdfour

I am doing a how to manuel for building a cerdar strip canoe and I was wondering if someone could maybe have answers to a few questions.
If people could have suggestions to other places I could find answers to these questions please let me know, thank you. (Another WCHA forum section, Another forum, specific person, ect..)

1. What do you think is the most difficult part of the building process? What are some tips for beginners to make this easier?

2. What canoe building methods have you tried, and how do they compare with the wood-strip method?

3. Compared to other woods, is cedar easy or hard to work with in boat building? What wood do you like best to work with?

4. Is there a tool you would recommend for new boat builders, which most people wouldn’t think of?

5. When building cedar-strip canoes, do you typically mill the planks yourself or do you buy them pre-milled? What are the pros and cons of each?

6. Is there anything a first time canoe owner should know as far as maintenance is concerned?

I am doing a how to manuel for building a cerdar strip canoe and I was wondering if someone could maybe have answers to a few questions.
If people could have suggestions to other places I could find answers to these questions please let me know, thank you. (Another WCHA forum section, Another forum, specific person, ect..)

When you specify "cedar strip" construction, you might define whether you're considering traditional cedar strip (keelson, rib, & plank) or the more modern version of cedar strips alone enclosed in an epoxy/glass sheath.

Cliff

When you specify "cedar strip" construction, you might define whether you're considering traditional cedar strip (keelson, rib, & plank) or the more modern version of cedar strips alone enclosed in an epoxy/glass sheath.

Cliff

We are doing a modern version of the cedar strip canoe with epoxy/glass sheath.

There are a number of books out there that describe how to built a stripper, why write another?

But:

Getting started, just do it, it's only wood, if you make a mistake, do it over.
1. What do you think is the most difficult part of the building process? What are some tips for beginners to make this easier?

I've built 3 strippers and restored several w/c. W/C is completely different.
2. What canoe building methods have you tried, and how do they compare with the wood-strip method?

Red cedar is easy to work. The wood I like best depends on what job it is to do.
3. Compared to other woods, is cedar easy or hard to work with in boat building? What wood do you like best to work with?

Dust mask/vac system.
4. Is there a tool you would recommend for new boat builders, which most people wouldn’t think of?

Yes, milling your self is much cheaper.
5. When building cedar-strip canoes, do you typically mill the planks yourself or do you buy them pre-milled? What are the pros and cons of each?

Don'r get in the canoe unless it is floating. Keep it off the rocks.
6. Is there anything a first time canoe owner should know as far as maintenance is concerned?

Dan

Back