Proud Tack Heads

Nick Dennis

WCHA UK
I have noticed a couple of tack heads sitting proud under the canvas. the paint is just wearing off. They are in the centre at the widest point of the canoe and are always the most difficult ones to reach unless you have the arm span of a lowland Gorilla. I had thought of placing a clenching iron over them on the outside of the hull and then clenching using a large headed hammer from the inside. With luck the large area of the iron will prevent them pushing through the canvas and hopefully pulling them tight. Any observations before I either succeed or fail miserably? Or should I not be bothered?
Nick
F9267BB4-A821-4BD4-96BF-A8AC72266C4B_1_201_a.jpeg

It will be a couple of this group and one on the adjacent rib
81929D0D-81D2-4150-9128-88086E8A637C_1_201_a.jpeg

From the exterior

In particular I was referring to Dan Miller’s post that you can just reclining the normal way .

“I'll hit the proud tacks with a wide-faced cobbler's hammer, bucked by the standard clinching iron, both before and after filling if I find any. If the tack head sets, Bob's your uncle. If not, then the clinch is probably broken and naught you can do except not sand through the canvas at the tack head while doing the finish work.”

Back