Peterborough wide plank canoe

Bill,

Below is the Comfort Canoe page from a mid 1890’s Peterborough catalogue, showing the canoe with a sailing rig. Your sailing rig might look different as many types of rig were available.

Doug’s suggestion is a good one, put this canoe aside for a later careful restoration and find a beater for this summer.

You are always welcome to call or email for advice.

Cheers
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop
Buckhorn, Ontario, Canada
Phone: 705-657-2601

Attachments

• 04-11-2007-09;39;32AM.jpg
    04-11-2007-09;39;32AM.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 691
I agree with all the rest. This is a great canoe and you will want to do it patiently.

I was having trouble getting to the website last night or would have responded to your picture question. Most all photo programs has a feature to resize a picture. But as you did, sending them to some to do it for you works too.

Paul

I am seeing the light. I did not consider picking up a another canoe to "bump around in"...and think that is likely the best suggestion. As I am new to the wooden canoe world, it makes sense to get smart input on this project. I restore antique wooden works clocks and antique oil paintings and understand that what it means. Now...to find another canoe! Back to Ebay!!

I am now scattering comments over several posts. If anyone can simplify this or consolidate it please do. (moderator?)
My ribs are 6" on centers. The boards are four to a side 3 1/4", 3 1/2 " I still do not know if Peterborough, the manufacturer by that name, made my canoe. There are no tags or serial numbers on the boat.

Back