Old town

The Old Town canoe with serial number 112051 is an 11 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, fifty pound model with red western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, birch decks, birch thwarts, birch seats, a keel, and a floor rack. It was built between January and May, 1933. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on May 25th, 1933 to the now flooded Greenwich Village, Mass. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 112051.gif
    112051.gif
    44 KB · Views: 260
Benson i did notice that the floor rack has a different serial # on it, it does have the same amount of numbers but they dont match the canoe. The canoe is at fitz's house getting the canvas done but as soon as i can i will get those numbers

This does sound interesting and pictures would be great. Floor racks typically don't have serial numbers but the build record for this one has an extra comment about being "put in" so that may imply that this floor rack was taken from another canoe in a rush to fill the order. Thanks,

Benson

The filler is drying but I pulled the floor rack out to find the other number. Written in pencil on the underside of the rack on one end is, "110471 Bow".

Interesting. OT 110471 is an 11 foot 50 pounder, AA grade canoe. Its keel and floor rack were installed Jan 25, 1933, and it was completed with a second coat of varnish on February 2, 1933.

But it was not shipped to Blandford, Mass. until June 8, 1933 -- about two weeks after OT 112051 left the factory with its floor rack. I wonder if 110471 actually got a floor rack. Or maybe the floor racks fell out of both canoes while awaiting shipment, and just got mixed up?

110471 - 00530A.jpg

thanks fitz for posting that, what does it say after blanford , via ? i cant make it out, but it looks like it was first started in 1931 and then sat around for awhile.

I believe it says Woronoco. (village near Blandford?).

Woronoco, Mass. is a wide spot in the road (population 111). about 5 miles from Blandford, Mass. (population a bit over 1200) going across Rte. 23, also known as the Blandford Road. However, the Boston and Albany Railroad runs (or at least once ran) past Woronoco. OT regularly shipped its canoes by rail, and it is likely that Woronoco was at least a whistle stop.

that is cool , thanks everyone. by the way the serial # isnt stamped like on the canoes its written in pencil. i was decaning the seats last night and they are numbered also but not serial #'s just 1 and 2 on the bottom

Ding...and those are the only markings on my UFO, a 1 and 2 on the underside of the seat. Maine builders must think alike.

i have been looking up fred w doubleday and found out there is a village around the quabbin named doubleday village and there was a mill doubleday mill and fred w doubleday was a town selectman and superintendent of roads and they lived in either greenwich or dana both taken for the quabbin. i guess you can still go to doubleday village and doubleday road hiking in the quabbin. ill have to take it for a paddle some where around there.

Back