Old Town White Cap Sailboat

mctz

I am the lucky new owner of a White Cap Sailboat. Looking for any and all info or links that can help me with restoring the little guy as well as history on these boats. I am attempting to locate serial number etc. right now. Have read up on R. Manry's transatlantic trip on Tinkerbelle. Past owner fiberglassed hull and interior needs major work. Worth removing fiberglass? Value of these boats? My first attempt at restoration and willing to do it right. Any help greatly appreciated!

First, do a search here on "white cap" and see earlier discussions about the boat.

Second, find the serial number of your boat, and in the research section of these forums, post a request for the build record of your boat under "serial number search."

Third, go to http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth in the "frequently asked questions" section of these forums for a discussion of valuing a boat. While the thread focuses on valuing canoes, the same considerations would basically apply to your White Cap.

There is quite a bit of discussion about fiberglass instead of canvas, with most opinions against fiberglass. Again, using the search function should get you some information on this topic, and again, while most of the discussions will be with regard to canoes, much of the thinking is transferable to other boats that are/were canvas-covered wood.

That will get you started -- and don't be bashful about asking more questions. Further, don't forget that we love photos here -- both because they provide information useful in formulating an answer to your questions, and because we just plain like canoes and boats.

Restoring a "whitecap" is a major operation. Usually a lapstrake boat is fiberglassed to stop major leakage because of split planking and/or rotten ribs. Based upon your description and my experience, the ash ribs and keelson are rotten for sure.You can check the planking for splits. The fiberglass will need to be removed to do a proper restoration. The technique is described on the forum. If you can post exterior hull photos, we may be able to help more.
The serial number should be stamped into either the stem or keelson, and maybe on the underside of the centerboard trunk cover. The cover will need to be removed to see if it is there.

Back