oarlocks

J.H. Rushton IG

This picture is pretty dark, and Denis will take more tomorrow... but you can get an idea of the placement of the sockets and the way they conform to the gunwales.

The canoe is marked J.H. Rushton in multiple places... says "Indian Girl" on the single thwart. It's a beautiful canoe.

Attachments

• outside 011.jpg
    outside 011.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 448
Dan Miller said:
A canoe set up well is a pleasure to row (but not as nice as a guideboat IMO...:cool: )

Dan

It's hard to imagine anything that is more of a pleasure to row than a vintage guideboat! I would not expect a canoe to be it's equal in that respect. The early guideboats are amazing craft.

Rushton at museum in Wisconsin

Dennis,
I checked this weekend and the Rushton we have at Spooner from the Deans show no evidence of ever having oarlocks, so I took no pictures.

But it looks like you've gotten all the info you need from Dan from his Rushton boats at the ABM.

Gary

I've seen this style of oarlock on a "double gunwale" Indian Girl as well (not on this canoe, a different one). Like Kathy and Denis, I believe that they are likely original, primarily because they fit so perfectly the profile of the gunwales.

More photos...

The rowlock components shown below came with Rushton boats. The horns are of two types. The one on the left supports what MGC and Dan have shown- same type. This one is from a Rushton Indiana-model rowboat from J.H. Rushton days (round "monogram" tag). The one on the right is very similar but has slight differences. The base is longer and the junction between the base and the upper part has a slightly different shape.

The socket shown in the other photo is one type used on Rushton's rowboats. The down-hanging "ears" are so long that on the boat they are screwed into and supported by a shaped wooden block attached under the gunwales.

Michael

Attachments

• Rushton_horns.jpg
    Rushton_horns.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 427
  • Rushton_oarlock.jpg
    Rushton_oarlock.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 447
Dan,
Took more photos today. They will, however, have to wait till Kathy can post them - I am just too inept. The shield - which I also took photos of and hope they turn out is J.H. Rushton Inc.
Michael, Thanks for the photos. We will have to start looking for the proper oarlocks. We have a set of oars that came with our 12 foot Morris but will also have to find the appropriate oars for the Rushton.
Denis

Here are a couple more. The nickel plated oarlocks are from the Rushton row and sail currently on exhibit at the museum.

The unplated rowlocks show a typical set.

As far as the Rushton canoe sockets go - one not seen before is suspicious. Two is probably not a coincidence. I've looked at a lot of boats over the years, but I freely admit I have a lot more to see than I've seen! It's curious, that they were never advertised, being the salesmen that they were.

Something else I learned today about Rushton that I didn't know before - he was experimenting with aluminum fittings in 1892. Apparently didn't take off...

Attachments

• bronze rowlocks.jpg
    bronze rowlocks.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 424
  • felicty oarlocks.jpg
    felicty oarlocks.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 407
Dan,
Kathy's computer is possibly down the tubes as of this evening so it may be a while before we can get the photos out. :mad:
Denis

Back