Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

not a canoe but still stich and glue

Discussion in 'Strippers, Stitch-n-Glue, and Other Wood Composite' started by Andre Cloutier, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Next down the ways....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  2. Douglas Ingram

Douglas Ingram Red River Canoe & Paddle

One of these days I got to build me something with a sail...! Looks like fun.

3. OP
    OP
    Andre Cloutier

keel laid !

Well, scarphed anyways. :rolleyes:
    As Dan well knows, happiness is many containers full of residual epoxy hardening. Cant wait to buy the Shaw & Tenney spoon oars:D :D
    Gotta go buy more clamps....:eek:

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    Andre Cloutier

behold the barbwire boat

sore fingers = big grin

Attached Files:

5. Scot T

Scot T LOVES Wooden Canoes

Nice little boat Andre. Is it a Peapod? What length...14'??

6. OP
    OP
    Andre Cloutier

Hey Scott,
    its a CLC Skerry
    http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/rowboats/CLC-SKERRY.html
    not a canoe, but at times the S&G forum is largely dormant.
    I really like Oughtred designs, but with toddlers and a newborn this is quicker.
    Assembled and seams tacked with epoxy in one day, wires out tomorrow evening and fill the laps, turn it over and off we go. Holds more budding sailors than the 16/30.

7. Scot T

Scot T LOVES Wooden Canoes

It may not be a canoe, per say, but from what I've read there is a lot of evidence to lead one to believe that many of the early double-enders like the peapod and the skerry were developed by the whiteman after seeing the Native American ocean canoes (Penobscot and Quoddy Indians).

I've been thinking about making a rowing boat for the last couple years but always seem to get sidetracked with canoe stuff. My toss-up is between the Maine Peapod and a Rangley but after your post I'm inspired to spend some time researching the Skerry. I want to do traditional lapstrake with bent ribs so any one of these three will fit that bill....maybe THIS winter.