northland canoe

john mc

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hellow, I have a northland canoe built in 1981 in quite good condition. It is a little faded on the fiberglass underside, but shiny new on the inside. I wondered if it is a good idea to varnish or poly ureathane the bottom ? Would the fiberglass be epoxy or poyester? What steps would I use to re-finish the inside or bottom?

You will likely find that the inside is covered in resin as is the outside, (Mr Maw liked polyester resin) pressure wash the inside and give it a light scuff and varnish it, and sand the outside and give it a coat of marine enamel. Made mine look like new.

Attachments

• IMG_4656.JPG
    IMG_4656.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 524
You will likely find that the inside is covered in resin as is the outside, (Mr Maw liked polyester resin) pressure wash the inside and give it a light scuff and varnish it, and sand the outside and give it a coat of marine enamel. Made mine look like new.

Thanks for the response would marine enamel be a clear coat? Mine is clear on the bottom.

paint. marine enamel is paint. he did leave them clear as well, so if you can see wood through the glass on the outside of yours, sand and varnish it if you like. They look better painted, as they get older they start to discolour and often stain, but to leave it clear do the same as the inside.

varnish

I applied 4 coats of epifanies clear varnish. The bottom turned out much better than the sides. Should I lay the canoe on it's side to get a better finish on the sides.The thick varnish really seems to run on the sides.

Its polyester

Hellow, I have a northland canoe built in 1981 in quite good condition. It is a little faded on the fiberglass underside, but shiny new on the inside. I wondered if it is a good idea to varnish or poly ureathane the bottom ? Would the fiberglass be epoxy or poyester? What steps would I use to re-finish the inside or bottom?

Mine was built in 1974. Its polyester, about 9 years ago mine started to pull away from the hull. I re glassed with epoxy. Albert filled the spaces between the planking with some sort of filler almost a tar like substance, only with resin mixed in. At any rate I still use the canoe for tripping and I think Maw is still in business :)

Thanks for the info,I read somewhere that you should re-calk under the keel after a period of time. John

Back