New (old) tank for boiling stock

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Out and about at a sawyers buying more stock i was reminded of the slender old water tank in Rollins book ( i think , well at least some book i read) when i saw this in the snow. Free for the taking, its an old water tank with super heavy galvanizing. Many years outside in a field and not a sign of rust. Was a fuel tank at some time for a boat, once the top is cut off i'm gonna try boiling my stem stock. Usually soak them for days then steam, i'll see if this makes a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_2882.jpg
    IMG_2882.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_2884.jpg
    IMG_2884.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2889.jpg
    IMG_2889.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 420
I thought so, dont see these much anymore, and they dont galvanize stuff like they used to!

Looks a lot like an old LP tank.

Dan

Not this puppy, it has two threaded fittings on the top for infeed and outfeed lines, and a threaded drain plug at the bottom. My steam comes from a bbq tank, took a while for the mercaptans to vacate!

Great point, a welder across the street from the shop i worked at one summer knocked himself out welding on galvanized streetlight poles. Much like when we are casting lead for musket balls, this will be done outside in open air conditions!

So the moral of the story is that if you have junk to get rid of cart it to the end of your driveway with a sign on it that says, "FREE". Then hint to Andre that you know where to get great stuff ! It will soon be heading north.

JCC

Ya, that does have a lot of holes in it.

Why didn't you just get 3" gav pipe and put a cap on one end? A lot less water.
Joe S just had a sheet metal "tray" welded up to soak/boil both stems and ribs.

Dan

Dan, leave it to an engineer to complicate things eh! Might do ribs too, so the extra room will be good. Haven't boiled before so am looking forward to trying it. Maybe while I am out looking for free junk someone will throw away some 3" pipe.

Back