Mystery

Craig Ward

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Boy, since I found this website I'm just full of questions! Here's another.
How accurate are the listed dimensions for old canoes when it comes to identifying them? I ask because one of my canoes doesn't seem to fit in totally with Chestnuts published dimensions. This canoe at first glance seems to be a Bob's Special, but some dimensions don't quite fit. The length is 15', the depth is 12 7/8", and the beam is 35 to 361/2, depending where you measure. With the gunwales broken it's hard to get an accurate measurement. Here's where it gets confusing, the rib dimensions say Bob's Special, the width, the spacing, and they are even 1/4" thick. Is it possible to have one made that doesn't fit the published dimensions right to the letter? It doesn't fit the Prospector dimensions with those ribs.
This canoe has been hanging in a old work shop since about the mid 60's, so needless to say the canvas had to be taken off. I think the seats have been replaced somewhere along it's life span. There's 1 or 2 ribs that need to be replaced as well as the gunnels. No rot at either end of the old gal though. She is very light, and quite flexible without the canvas on.
She also does not have a keel, never had one either.

Last edited:
Back